MES 30 popping circuit; wont start up.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

barflyngrill

Original poster
Jul 14, 2009
Ellicott City, MD
Happy Thanksgiving everyone!  I woke up this morning ready to get the turkey breast in my MES 30 smoker. Tried to turn it on but its a no go. Every time I set the temp and time it tries to turn on but the GFCI outlet blows. I used the smoker a few weeks ago no problems. Even though Im in a brand new home, I thought the outlet might be bad but I tried 3 different outlets (all on different circuits) with the same result. Must be the smoker.  Not surprising as my Mom has one that died for no reason as well. Anyone experience this and know what to do?  Im so frustrated. Its only like 3 years old and one year it wasnt used at all. Guess Im grilling my Turkey this year..... first time... wish me luck...

Have a great Holiday and TIA.

Michael

Is it plugged directly into an outlet ?? (no extension cord)...  Is the cord damaged ??? Has it been rained on ???

sound like you need a outlet with a larger amp rating... dont use a extension cord... You need to find an outlet with a 20 or 30 amp sevice... 15 which is common sometimes wont do it.......

Joe

Go ahead and use the cord on it. The smokers are only 1200 watts so its pulling about 10 amps intermittently when element is on. The gfci trip could be just what we in the trade call "nuisance tripping."

A 14 gauge cord will be fine but make it as short a cord as possible.

Texas Master Electrician here.

If you have to grill, make sure you place it in a pan and use indirect heat

This way, it won't dry out

Like the other guys said, try plugging directly into an outlet

Remember, a GFI will trip for a fault, not necessarily excessive draw.

Are you blowing the GFI, Circuit Breaker or Both?

Todd

Wow, so many replies even on a Holiday!  Thank you everyone!  Here are more details:

- plugging directly into the wall - no extension cord, never have.

- I pulled out the outlet to check for loose wiring. looked fine but noticed it is a 20amp circuit so plenty of juice. I used this same outlet all summer.

- outlet is just inside my garage door and smoker never gets wet - so no moisture involved (that I know of)

- garage is finished and well insulated

- when I plug it directly into another outlet w/out a GFCI on it, it trips that whole circuit which is why Im leaning toward it being the smoker.

Could the problem be related to the MES 30 people are complaining about that just stop working completely? Ive seen the instructions for removing the back and replacing the corroded connectors/wires. I'll probably be fixing my Moms using that solution.  I plan to check my wiring in the smoker this weekend...  Maybe its related to the electronic control unit on the top??

Thanks again!

My guess is the wires on the element behind the panel are corroded and burned/shorting into the panel.

Craig

Reactions: barflyngrill
Have a great rest of your TG, BFnG !!!

Shame it had to happen on TG morning.  
PDT_Armataz_01_19.gif

Bear

Well, I rewired my MES 30 according to the instructions on this site, replacing all the wires and terminals. I thought I had discovered a short in the ground wire so I was sure this was going to work but.... FAIL!  The same exact thing happens. As soon as I set time then time, it blows the GFCI.   Guess this MES going to the dump!  The element must be bad on this one. So disappointing! I really did like this thing but I cant see myself buying another Masterbuilt product....POS.   Thanks all anyway... :(

Yep it's your element. DON'T TOSS IT! Get your self a replacment ellement and replace it. If you can rewire the unit you can replace the element no problem.

I am also an electrician

Last edited:
Well, I rewired my MES 30 according to the instructions on this site, replacing all the wires and terminals. I thought I had discovered a short in the ground wire so I was sure this was going to work but.... FAIL!  The same exact thing happens. As soon as I set time then time, it blows the GFCI.   Guess this MES going to the dump!  The element must be bad on this one. So disappointing! I really did like this thing but I cant see myself buying another Masterbuilt product....POS.   Thanks all anyway... :(

Plug it tnto a non gfci circuit even if you use an extention cord and see if it heat. (weak GFCI may be the issue)

Master electrician here.

I'm sorry to hear of your problems I have the same smoker and have yet to have these problems, hopefully these guys can help you get it working, but if for some unfortunate reason it can't be brought back to life the way masterbuilt intended it to be used, perhaps you could fix it with a PID system, or build a small smoke generator and turn it into a cold smoker?

I really hope you can get it working, but just some thoughts if not I hate seeing things thrown away... sorry

Yep it's your element. DON'T TOSS IT! Get your self a replacment ellement and replace it. If you can rewire the unit you can replace the element no problem.

I am also an electrician

I would love to get one but where?  Masterbuilt no longer carries the elements for my model.
th_dunno-1%5B1%5D.gif
  Id love to get it working.  I enjoyed while it was!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky