MES 30 Ordered! Now what's next?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

flynn diesel

Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Ok, so after lots of reading I pulled the trigger on the MES 30. Pretty excited for it to arrive so I can get started. All of the smoking I've done to date has been in my Brinkman propane smoker. I've been happy with the the results but was looking at options where I didn't have to baby sit as much. Based on reviews I figured this was the one.

I've been reading about the AMNS and AMNPS and wanted to know which one (and size) everyone recommends in the MES 30.

Tomorrow will be the last smoke in my Brinkman before I give it to a friend who I've recently turned into a smoke addict. Gave him some pulled pork and know he's hooked.

Happy smoking.

The AMNPS is probably your best bet, it is the one I see most used in the MES. It will burn pellets and dust so it's a little more versatile, the AMNS will only burn dust. Todd has 20% off until June 16th, code SMFDAD1

Wow, I didn't know that. I've been using pellets in my MES for years. First with my MES 30 before it died, and the past year with my MES 40.

I'd been looking at the AMNPS but didn't see the benefit other than not having to reload.

Last edited:
Ok, so after lots of reading I pulled the trigger on the MES 30. Pretty excited for it to arrive so I can get started. All of the smoking I've done to date has been in my Brinkman propane smoker. I've been happy with the the results but was looking at options where I didn't have to baby sit as much. Based on reviews I figured this was the one.

I've been reading about the AMNS and AMNPS and wanted to know which one (and size) everyone recommends in the MES 30.

Tomorrow will be the last smoke in my Brinkman before I give it to a friend who I've recently turned into a smoke addict. Gave him some pulled pork and know he's hooked.

Happy smoking.
Like was mentioned already, the AMNS will only burn dust, and the AMNPS will burn both dust & pellets, but the biggest thing about that is the AMNS with dust is only good for below 180* or 200*, and the AMNPS with pellets is good for up to 275* or higher.

Bear

What's the reason for using an AMNPS over just using pellets in the chip tray?
Pellets burn really hot and fast in the chip tray and puff flames out the loader. If you got a greasy unit you will have Fire...I learned from trying Pellets when I just needed 20-30 minutes of smoke for Shrimp. I got by but had the Fire Extinguisher in hand and was surprised at how often the MES Farted Flames!...JJ

Yeah that chip tray in the new generation of mes is sitting right on the element and gets real hot. I had so many fires in the new mes 40 I even stopped using chips, never mind pellets. I actually use small chunks now and also use the amazn pellet tube. Had to dremel out the vent to get enough air flow though. At least now I can do an overnight smoke without having to babysit the unit all night.

Thanks gang. I got the AMNPS and a variety of pellets and dust. Hopefully I'll be smoking on Fathers Day. I ordered my MES 30 online from Home Depot. The only reason I ordered online is because they didn't show it available in the store. Well I went to Home Depot today and they had a whole stack of them and they were $10 cheaper..... Not sure if the one I ordered is any different.

Thanks gang. I got the AMNPS and a variety of pellets and dust. Hopefully I'll be smoking on Fathers Day. I ordered my MES 30 online from Home Depot. The only reason I ordered online is because they didn't show it available in the store. Well I went to Home Depot today and they had a whole stack of them and they were $10 cheaper..... Not sure if the one I ordered is any different.
when you pick up yours. Ask them to price match what they have on the shelf.

Happy smoken.

David

Flynn - That's the one I wanted, but Sears didn't have it. I bought theirs, which is the same unit I think except it has stainless steel on the front. That may be a special unit they make only for Sears so they can avoid having to price match. Mine is scheduled for delivery to the house next week (June 19 - 21). Can't wait to get some baby backs on there and try smoking for the very first time in my 64 years of being on this planet.

Sorry for the delayed update. My MES 30 arrived just in time for Fathers Day. I did 3 slabs of spare ribs and a dozen chicken legs which I brined and then rubber in Shooter Ricks snake bite rub. I also used my new AMNPS for the first time. I'm very happy with the unit. The construction is solid and it holds the temp extremely well in the AZ heat. This is a huge difference from my Brinkman vertical propane smoker. The two biggest issues I discovered were that with the Brinkman I was over smoking and my temps were too high. So I my first run with the MES I probably could have smoked the ribs for another hour or so and there was not smoke ring.I was so worried I was going to over cook everything. The ribs turned out good and the chicken was awesome. The AMNPS is amazing. It never went out once. Tomorrow I'm doing 2 slabs of baby backs and a tri-tip. Q-View to follow.

Reactions: [email protected]
Sorry for the delayed update. My MES 30 arrived just in time for Fathers Day. I did 3 slabs of spare ribs and a dozen chicken legs which I brined and then rubber in Shooter Ricks snake bite rub. I also used my new AMNPS for the first time. I'm very happy with the unit. The construction is solid and it holds the temp extremely well in the AZ heat. This is a huge difference from my Brinkman vertical propane smoker. The two biggest issues I discovered were that with the Brinkman I was over smoking and my temps were too high. So I my first run with the MES I probably could have smoked the ribs for another hour or so and there was not smoke ring.I was so worried I was going to over cook everything. The ribs turned out good and the chicken was awesome. The AMNPS is amazing. It never went out once. Tomorrow I'm doing 2 slabs of baby backs and a tri-tip. Q-View to follow.
That's Awesome----Glad you did so well !!!

I love it when a plan comes together!!!

Bear

th_What_NO_QVIEW.gif
worthless.gif
th_nopicsye3.gif

Happy smoken.

David

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky