MES 30 Mailbox Mod Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kenny1993

Original poster
May 6, 2016
Hello,

I smoked a pork butt this past weekend. I love the Pellet Smoker, however I decided that I want to do the mailbox mod. I was wondering, Do I need to take out the chip loader and the tray? If I put in a 3in pipe, it only goes in a half inch.

If someone had a photo of their 2.5 with the mailbox mod done to it. that would be wonderful!

My pipe only goes in about 2 inches. I have no issues. I run with the chip tray out. You might also want to look into putting a deflector above the heating element to funnel the heat towards the center. I'm sure if you do a search for mods you will get an idea. Check out Bears step by steps page. He uses MES and has a bunch of info. Good luck.

Oh. One more thing. You can cut out the metal and have it go in farther. But I left mine alone as for shorter smokes I use regular chips. So far I have had no issues.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky