MES 30 analog questions.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oakleyguy89

Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
Hey guys, i recently got the analog MES and i really like it. The only gripe i have with it though is the small water/wood trays. I end up having to refill them about once an hour which gets annoying. What can i do to remedy this problem?

I read that putting sand in the water tray helps with that problem. Do you use any kind of sand?? What about the wood tray? I read to use AMNPS but in order to do that i have to drill holes in the smoker. That's probably not something i would want to do considering i purchased a warranty for it. Is there any other alternatives? Maybe wood chunks with the wood tray lid off despite the manual warning not to?

Hey oakleyguy89, I got the same smokers, I like it cause towards the end of a smoke I can crank up the heat and get a crisp on the skin of Poultry. I leave the water pan empty, fill the smoke tray full of dry chips and prop the lid up a little with a wrench or drill bit. Once the smoke get to rolling it stays. Yesterday I smoked a turkey breast with bone for 6 hours and only fill the smoker twice. Good luck!

Hey oakleyguy89, I got the same smokers, I like it cause towards the end of a smoke I can crank up the heat and get a crisp on the skin of Poultry. I leave the water pan empty, fill the smoke tray full of dry chips and prop the lid up a little with a wrench or drill bit. Once the smoke get to rolling it stays. Yesterday I smoked a turkey breast with bone for 6 hours and only fill the smoker twice. Good luck!
Hey thanks! So do you fill the tray level or heaping? How far do you have the lid propped up?

I fill it so the lid will just shut, then prop it open with a 1/4" box wrench laying flat, so maybe 1/4". I also after a couple of hours have a weber smoke box that you can get from Walmart for 5 or 6 dollars fill it full with dry chips and use a torch to get it going good, and place it on top of the MES smoker tray with lid off. Seemed to work pretty good. Good luck

Thanks, I'll have to try it out. Does the chips turn to ash? I have a problem with mine turning to charcoal instead of ash.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky