MES 2nd gen 40" smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smitty091101

Original poster
May 26, 2014
Has anyone had any problems with their circuit breakers popping when using the masterbuilt 2nd gen smoker 40"?

I have tried it in 2-3 different outlets but it always seems to pop the breaker.

Mine runs on a 15 amp circuit, with a bunch of other stuff. I'd say you have problems, better get it looked at before it catches a fire.

That should not happen. The Heating Coil may have shorted out. Mine is tripping the GFI, have not found the problem yet...JJ

This is interesting, mine has done the same thing once if not twice a few months ago.  I used it this past weekend to do brisket and it was fine the whole time (breaker wise) however, it was very hard to maintain or even GET to 220 degrees, I had my smoker at max 275.  So its off approx. 55-60 degrees.

Any ideas??

Check out the topic

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/162042/mes40-gfci-tripping

I think if you run it from a non-GFCI outlet for 10-15 minutes it will drive off the moisture absorbed by the heating element, and then you will be good to go in your GFCI outlet. After that, run it every week for a 10-15 minutes to keep the element dry.

Mike
Or better yet......ditch that MES and get a better smoker.  You can read 100's of thread detailing this issue.  Mine did the same and after that I vowed NEVER AGAIN.  A properly built smoker should last many many years.  I switched to a smoking-It and will never look back!!!

I know this is an older post, but thank you all very much.

This is EXACTLY what has been happening with mine.

I haven't had the opportunity to Smoke as much as I did when I 1st got the MES-40, but the last 2 times I had these issues with the GFCI Circuit breaking and it really put a damper on things.

Thanks to you all, I plugged into a direct line and was able to " Dry out " the heating element before plugging back into the electric plug I use (Convenience)..and it worked like a charm!!   BACK IN BUSINESS!!!!

The unit sits covered outside on the back porch and used (because of my job) only a few times in about a 60 day time frame.

SO.....the answer is to add a direct electric line to where the unit sits and eliminate the GFCI outlet altogether!

Again, Thank you all!

Now.......back to the pork loin, jalapenos, Kilbasa and Hot banana peppers!!!!!!

Good work!

Be careful if you chose to run w/o GFCI, I've heard of MES units failing with the enclosure getting hot (electrically).

When I had my MES apart trying to figure out this problem, I noticed that the spade lugs on the heating element and the slide-on connectors were very corroded. Once connections start to corrode, they get hotter, and tend to corrode faster and worse.  I replaced the slide-ons, sand-papered the spades lugs, and gooped it with dielectric grease. This was about 12hrs of smoking ago, and it still looks OK.

Mike

Our barn builder blew the fuses that's why my smoker was not working I have just got around to smoking a few things
Ribs
Redfish flounder
Chicken medallions
This week it's spare rib time can't wait

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky