• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Memorial Day

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
Hey ya'll, now remember when you're out there on Monday having your picnics and drinking your beer playing yard darts, what Monday is in observance of...our fallen heroes...take a moment and be thankful for our freedoms...say a prayer for our military, attend a local ceremony if one is being held. They usually don't last that long and it's the way we should be kicking off "celebrating" Memorial Day.
Then get back to your smokers and check your temps!

squeezy

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 17, 2005
To all my American friends ... have a good happy weekend ... stay safe and cook well

billyq

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 13, 2007
That's a good point Shell. It's those soldiers that have given us the freedom to do what we do.

teacup13

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 22, 2007
i hope everybody has a safe weekend

Like Shell said...remember those fallen heroes..

deejaydebi

Legendary Pitmaster
Joined Nov 18, 2006
I'll be out placing flags all day Friday and Saturday with the VFW ...

smoked

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Dec 14, 2006
ours will be somewhat somber, the brother of a really good friend of ours was killed on the job yesterday in a freak accident.....

irwinwd

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 16, 2007
Sorry to hear the news smoked. I know we are greatful for all the men and women in the armed forces that are helping to keep us safe at home. I know I'm not alone in hoping we never repeat or forget 9/11.

gypsyseagod

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 5, 2007
i will be doing the cook i talked about, serving plates @ my vfw, and maybe(impatient baby)between today & due date of june 9th(personally i wish for d-day.. the 6th) having a new baby girl. but i will wear my patches & medals & doing a bit @ the v & burning up some meat... not to mention flying a flag.....god bless america ( & pity the poor bassard that picks a fight w/ us).

hawgheaven

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined May 5, 2007
Sorry for your loss smoked; prayers are headed your way.

Thanks Shell for reminding us of what the day is all about. It is too easy to forget sometimes...

I hope everyone has a healthy and happy, smokin' holiday!

shellbellc

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 7, 2006
Hey Smoked, sorry for your loss...

That's us on Thursday night, I have a girl scout troop and a boy scout troop coming out to help us put out 1,000+ flags for Monday. Monday I'm in charge of Memorial Day ceremony, we have a small town parade and then a ceremony at the local cemetary. Fire companies lay a wreath, mayor talks, Am. Legion Commander gives his speech, I do VFW speech & ceremony, High School Band play National Anthem & Taps...Then we give ice cream out to all the kids. Below is a link to a poem I wrote for Memorial Day a number of years back...

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/memday-poem.htm

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.