Memorial Day Q at Wonder Dog Ranch

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 11, 2013
Happy Memorial Day SMF members!

What a great holiday for this great country to celebrate! Thank you to all who are serving, and all who have served! We here at Wonder Dog Ranch are very thankful for your service!

My post earlier today showed dinner (kabobs) from the other night. This post is tonight’s meal (plenty of leftovers considering it’s only two of us) and how Memorial Day was spent at WDR.

It’s to damn hot here in Michigan. Been in the 90’s all weekend. Haven’t trained the dogs as much as I would have liked to because of the heat. Heck it’s almost to hot to grill. But it’s Memorial Day so I really had no choice! Nothing special just an all American farm country meal!

405E9F99-F3A1-439B-918E-6A79D0B22781.jpeg

1/2 venison 1/2 farm burger hamburgers on the weber.

2FEE3749-64BF-4E9E-8519-28FA5D21E728.jpeg

Seared up nice on one side.

B1E7316A-1E09-4502-AC36-8302CD807133.jpeg

Pulled off quick because the venison is lean and I like these burgers medium rare to medium at most. Very juicy still.

916DE7A3-7749-4F2D-B90A-AA63D09FB74F.jpeg

Lost track of picture taking while I was Melting in the Michigan sun. Here’s the grilled, fresh cut asparagus, all pork hotdogs I had made from my last pig, homemade moose brats, and of course the venison/farm burger hamburgers.

0590374A-E0DD-4D40-8E97-BC5BFB2C9EA6.jpeg

Too hot. Beers going down to fast. Needed to switch it up. Margaritas are great on a hot day so I went with those this afternoon.

5FB992D6-98B8-4D29-AE98-61A969CED453.jpeg

Since I have 2 mes 40’s, 2 barrel smokers, and 2 weber kettles I decided to buy another weber genesis. Found a steal of a deal on it and couldn’t pass it up. I like my grills/smokers in sets. Lol!

A0DDA236-2A79-427A-B396-CFAD70CF1EEA.png

Got some water work in at the pond out back with scout today. Here she is waiting for the go ahead.

7556C610-02DD-48FF-A4AA-69474BAE1CC5.png

And here’s the launch!

BB42C9E2-FCC4-42E5-A599-09237C8E0C98.png

Dogs like rolling thunder on entry! Nothing graceful about it at all. Completely opposite of my other lab Hooper.

FCA40CEB-5DE5-4354-822B-2980616C4A0B.jpeg

And here’s scout with a bumper staring at me forever hoping we can go and hit the pond for some more water work.

I hope all of you had a great holiday weekend & I hope you spent it doing all the things you love to do and probably take for granted. I know I forget how blessed we are here from time to time. It’s great to do what you love on a holiday weekend and we did it here despite the heat all weekend long. And we took some time to reflect on what’s important, why we are able to do the things we love.

Thanks for checking this thread out and sorry it’s so simple. I have something else going on in the background I’ll try to finish and post soon.

Happy Memorial Day
Scott

Let me sneak on up there ;) My dog is silly about water too. She tries to eat hoses and sort of barrel slams into ponds lol. She's to big to be graceful in water!

Gotta love labs Tom!

We have a good size pond on the back 40 and the dogs just run back there and jump in when ever they want. Makes the wife crazy! HEard some geese last week while I was in the barn and by the time I walked out of the barn scout was in the water swimming after them! Wife was hollaring and all uptight about it. She hates wet dogs in the house. I had to calm her down and remind her they are water dogs, and we spend more money and hours than I can add up training them to be great waterfowl retrievers.

Scott

Thanks Scott! My Sheppie is an odd ball. Lol. The only dog she's met bigger then her so far was a Newfie! She didn't know what to do! Also come on, it's summer..go throw the wife in to cool off ;)

Lmao tom! That’s a great idea! I have a barn with dish network, a fridge, and a couch to live in anyway!

Scott

Reactions: RiversideSm0ker
Well see? She'll come back out when you smoke food! LOL. I have a friend significantly smaller then me, she learned I'm not above carrying her ass into the cold lake and dropping her in butt first LOL

Lmao tom! I’ll drink to that! Your fit in good out here in farm country!

Thats where my friend lived! Had a few acres in Amish country. We'd routinely wake up hungover to the cows down the road having busted out of their fence and milling in her yard LOL

There is nothing I hate more than getting a call from my buddy telling me the cows are out.... hell of a chore trying to get them all back in.

I'm convinced this guy just had like sticks for fences for how often it happened. No one liked my vote of 'Lets kill one and he'd probs never know what really happened.' Despite my friend have 2 chest freezers LOL

And It's a Great Day to be Alive!

Burgers and Beers, Ponds and Puppies.
Warm Sunny Days, a Solemn Memories.

Yep, you've got two of everything...
Except Scout. o_O

Looks like a Great Day in your neighborhood.
My little guy has his own pond, but he has never gotten in it. LOL!
"Me get wet? Are you crazy?" :confused:

He has been in, just to make sure he can swim.
But he takes day to dry out... LOL! o_O

appreciate it sonny!

Plans to breed scout next spring so soon she will have a mini me following here around!

Scott

Thanks riverside.

We spend a lot of time around nature where we live. Blessed enough to have plenty of property and ponds to train the dogs. And then you have hunting season where the dogs and I are in cornfields, or duck blinds unless I’m sitting in a deer blind! Always outside around here.

Scott

Thanks crazymoon.

Nothing spectacular as far as food goes but a pretty American meal for Memorial Day. Good day it was!

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky