Memorial Day Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bdskelly

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 3, 2013
DFW North Texas
Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant General of Massachusetts that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle. I feel how weak and fruitless must be any word of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save. I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of freedom.

Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

A. Lincoln

God Bless America . b

Sunday I was walking through the meet section. I actually had Turkey on my mind for the Memorial Day Dinner.  This pork butt was standing out in the crowd. ...Well marbled yet not took fatty...  BIG at 11 pounds.  Love at first sight.   So I hefted the thing into the buggy and headed to the checkout.  When I unwrapped it the butt was prettier than I could imagine   This is going to be good! 

I'm going to inject it with pineapple juice for a fresh summertime flavor. 

And here it is injected with pineapple and a good dusting of Jeff's Rub.  Looks like Pork Candy!

It's 8 pm on Sunday night. I'm putting it the MES @ 225 and for the smoke i'll use a full tray of hickory pellets in the Amaze N Smoker. 

It's 8am Sunday morning and the IT is 155.  I'll mop with pineapple juice and seasonings and let it reach 165 before I foil it.

More later! 

b

Last edited:

That thing is coming along perfect man! 
drool.gif

At almost 19 hours this butt finally hit an IT of 198. Whew..!  The longest time I've ever smoked a butt. I'm going to let it sit for an hour before the pull. 

Smoked perfectly...

With a little splash of Chef JJ's sauce to enhance the pork. Outstanding!

In closing I'd like to give a Memorial Day "thank You" to my friends that have served in our military ( you know who you are) and to those who have family that served to protect this wonderful country. 

God Bless America.

Brian 

Nice smoke Brian. Colors is right on target!. 19 hours of low and slow, I think the anticipation only builds the taste buds titillation!

Dang nice job.

BTW how 'bout that pineapple? Big difference? Did it really stand out?

Great looking smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky