Memorial Day Menu

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

RiversideSm0ker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Riverside, Cal
Monday, here in America, we are going to celebrate Memorial Day. I always take time to reflect on those men and women who gave all they had for this country and it's citizens. I don't like to make it too somber but I do hold great respect for those who serve in the military. I thank each and every one of them in my daily prayers.

As a nation many of us take the opportunity to combine our grateful contemplation with some good old American BBQ. I was wondering what you guys were putting together for your Memorial Day Q menus?

We are doing some pretty traditional dishes. The meats will be Tri Tip and Baby Back ribs. The sides will be baked beans, homemade mac n' cheese, deviled eggs, and possibly a batch of guacamole and chips. We haven't decided on a dessert yet but if I have some time I might consider making a batch of homemade ice cream. There is just nothing quite like it for decadence. What about you?

George

Reactions: Lookn4u
Have a Brisket and Pork Butt thawing at the moment. Will probable do some brats and burgers on another day. Will have some smores around the fire for dessert.

Reactions: Smoke23
Monday we are going to smoke a couple Cowboy Cut Ribeyes. While we hang out on Sunday and listen to the Indy 500 I think we will make up pulled pork nachos and some wings. Look forward to reading what everyone else is doing!

Thinking brisket, ribs, burgers, dogs, mac n cheese, corn, man n cheese salad. Plus the other stuff. All for 4 of us.

Not sure I’m gonna be home much this weekend pretty much whatever is cooking on the tailgate grill at the hrc training grounds I guess.

Thinking maybe some kabobs if I get a day off and can spend some time at home.

Sounds like a lot of you have some great plans for your smokers!

I look forward to seeing some excellent smokes this weekend!

Scott

Our plans tend to be very spontaneous.
They just sprout suddenly.
So no idea just yet. The Daughter and SIL will be out of town. And the Son and DIL are spur of the moment.
And I'm retired. So I don't give a .... care.
I do fly my American Flag 24/7. Because we have troops in peril 24/7. It is my job to hold the home front for their return, and honor.

We're going to a party at the SIL's camp on the lake. So she'll be doing most of the cooking. I do however plan to bring a platter of pork shots.

Chris

The meaning of the day gets lost with some , but not all . I've grown up around alot of vets . WW2 , Korea and Vietnam . You can tell the ones that " did " from the talkers , thats for sure . No disrespect to anyone that served . Just my take on it .
Sorry , just an emotional thing for me . No I never served .

Anyway ,,, I just put 12 chicken legs in Pop's brine . Thinking SV corn on cobb and asparagus Hillbilly style . Maybe a salad , and a moment of silence .

Chop

Reactions: zwiller
I too fly a flag in front of my house. Damn proud to be an American and honor those who are serving and those we have lost.

I forgot to mention my favorite vegetable that I will be feasting on all weekend. SWEET CORN!

Reactions: SonnyE
I have a new flag replacement on the desk to change out Monday. You know how hard it is to find a proper US made flag? They nearly all come from China.

IF it cools off, I see the local store has Large pork spare ribs for sale. They also have long-necks. With ribs, I figure all I need is some sliced sweet onion and some fresh bread.

I lost my Pop earlier this year, he was a WWII Pacific vet, My baby Sister married a retired Naval aviator P3 Orions. Myself, I rode boats back in the 70's. Memorial day is not for us personally, but we all knew folks for whom the day is meant. Those that gave their ultimate for their country, there family & their comrades.

Ya know, they should have announced the new football National Anthem policy Monday instead of today.

Reactions: bdskelly
Ribs & beans, just Judy & I!
Going to try out a new BBQ sauce recipe, it's my old one with some new ingredients.
Hope I don't have to throw it out!
Al

But just remember....................................

Love it Uncle Kevin!

If, IF, I get to heaven, and they don't allow dogs, I'm going to ask to go where they do wind up... ;)

Something that rubbed me wrong was when the kids next door put an American Flag on the back of their furrign car. It just didn't seem right to me.
But I decided, At least they meant well. :rolleyes:

I’ll probably be doing the old stand by, burgers and dogs on the Kettle. Hopefully if time is on my side I’ll be able to throw on a couple racks of baby backs and a bit of Dutches baked beans.

One thing is for sure, regardless of if I’m just grilling or grilling and firing up the WSM, there will be time to consume a few too many beers.

I’ll probably be doing the old stand by, burgers and dogs on the Kettle. Hopefully if time is on my side I’ll be able to throw on a couple racks of baby backs and a bit of Dutches baked beans.

One thing is for sure, regardless of if I’m just grilling or grilling and firing up the WSM, there will be time to consume a few too many beers.

Is it even possible to consume a few too many beers? LOL! :D

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky