membrane? ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jaso

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 19, 2010
Conway Arkansas
ok so I havee heard lots about this membrane on the backside of ribs and that I should remove it before smoking for better textured ribs ...........

What does it look like ? ? ? I did my first ribs two weeks ago ( total bomb ) since then I have been itching to give it another shot but even then I had NO clue what I was supposed to trim off HELP! ! ! someone !

the membrane isnt trimmed off, it is pulled off the bone side of the rib. Get a knife under a corner of the membrane, get a grip and pull it should come off pretty easy.

Some butchers remove the membrane, and I have heard some costco ribs are sold with the membrane removed.

good luck

What he said! The membrane is that shiney part on the backside of the ribs. I find it easier to grab it with the use of a paper towel and just pull it all off.

Membranestart.bmp.jpg

membranepull.bmp.jpg

Nice pics Joe that should explain it

What kind of ribs did you cook? Spares or back ribs?

Membrane may have already been removed (happens every so often).

If you cooked back ribs, they don't typically require much trimming (maybe just a little on the edges).

However, lots of folks do a fair amount of trimming on their spare ribs to make them more rectangular. This is usually referred to as a St. Louis style rib. Lots of stuff on the internet about how to do this (check out youtube)

3.jpg

thank you soooooooo much for this ! ! I guess the one i tried the other weekend had it already removed! cause it didn't look like the before pic looked more like the after

Just gotta have one don't ya Joe
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

the ribs I did were spares

Thank you everyone the pics really showed what everyone has been talking about ! ! As fairly new to all this I admit I was lost! !

THANKS YA'LL

It does look interesting.

Jaso if you can find ribs that aren't packaged in a solution that would be good

First knife looks like a butter knife, the second like a fishing knife with the scaler on the top.

Using paper towels to grip the membrane is the Key, otherwise you're in for a long frustrating messy job. The towel makes it mondo easy to do.

A Few folks like me like to leave the membrane on and rip it off with their teeth.
PDT_Armataz_01_04.gif

Well.....I guess since I took the pic I can confirm that the first knife is indeed a butter knife. LOL
PDT_Armataz_01_05.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif
:PDT_Armataz _01_03:

well ole Fatback Joe sure took care of you here now. Just remember to remove it before smoking and you will like the ribs alot better

My first rib smoke (pre SMF days) I didn't know anything about the membrane. They were super tough. The flavor was alright but it was like eating jerky.

Joe's picts say it all here's one I found if it helps at all.
ry%3D400

The membrane is on the bone side or back side of the ribs. You said it didn't look like Joe's after shot. Both before and after they have sort of a white look to them. Make sure you ask whoever you're buying them from to see if it really is removed. I think the membrane just ruins a good rack o' ribs. You can't chew through that stuff it's like rubber.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky