Member needs a little help and advise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mco

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
albuquerque,nm
I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct place for this or not, if not would a mod please it for me.

My family has just experienced  the worst loss possible. My 34 year old son passed way from a tragic accident Sunday afternoon at the Rodeo da Galesito, Galesito, NM. We will be holding a memorial service for him at 10am Aug 7Th in Moriarty,NM. What I'm asking is alot. We are expecting  possibly in excess of 200 people.Most of the guests will be cowboys and there families from AZ,NM,TX Co and OK. What could be a better way to say good by to a cowboy then to feed his friends with what we do best.

So what Im asking is there anybody here from around the Albuquerque or East mountain area that could possibly help or advise me. I can be reached at 505=857-9775  Thank you all Mco 

Martin McOsker

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local News/Cowboy-injured-at-Galisteo-Rodeo-dies

I'm very sorry to read of you and your families loss. Ya'll will be in my prayers. I wish I was closer so I could do some smoking to help you with feeding everybody.

Last edited:
Ill be praying for you guys. And like the others I wish I was closer cause I would help in a heatbeat.

Sorry about your loss, Marty. If I was still there I would be right over. If I could help by phone give me a call.

Sorry to hear of the family's loss.

If I could get there in 3 or 4 hours I would be there in a heartbeat. This is why I can't wait till the day I am retired, then if there is a reason I can pack up for a day or two and head out.

The Albuquerque journal had this on the front page of this morning journal along with pictures, I would have posted just the web sit but trying to navigate it is akin to running naked through a mine field

STORY GOES HERE
Saturday, July 24, 2010

Rider Grabbed Life by the Reins

BSHTAGPARSER:CTPROVIDER:AlbuquerqueJournalTITLE: Rider Grabbed Life by the ReinsCOPYRIGHT:Copyright2010 <ahref="http://www.albuquerquejournal.com">AlbuquerqueJournal</a>AUTHOR: Rory McClannahan ORIGINAL PHOTO PATH = #PHOTOPATH1# BSHSTARTBODYBy Rory McClannahan
ssCopyright © 2010 Albuquerque Journal Mountain View Telegraph
es    indent    endind     Edgewood's Kenny McOsker was not one to hide from the dangers of life. And, in the end, it was one of those dangers that killed him. indent
   endind     The 34-year-old McOsker was at the Galisteo Rodeo on Sunday when, upon finishing his winning bronc ride, he was kicked in the head by his horse. indent
   endind     The horse's hoof caught him in the face, crushing his left cheek and making it difficult for paramedics to give him oxygen. He was rushed to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe, where his family made the difficult decision Tuesday to unhook the machines keeping him alive. indent
   endind     McOsker died soon afterward. indent
   endind     "He certainly always lived life to the fullest," said his father, Martin McOsker. indent
   endind     Kenny McOsker was a construction engineer for a firm in Corrales, but his weekends were spent on a horse. He was part of the close-knit fraternity of amateur rodeoers who travel each weekend to events all over the state. indent
   endind     He shared his passion with his family: His 14-year-old daughter Bailey and 6-year-old son Kole also compete. His other son, Zeb, is 17 months and a little young for the cowboy life. His wife, Tay, is expecting their fourth child. indent
   endind     Kenny McOsker was an organ donor and his father said his organs went to three people in New Mexico, one in Arizona and another in Minnesota. indent
   endind     Hooked on ridingindent
   endind     Rodeo had not always been a passion for Kenny McOsker. Growing up, the 1995 graduate of Sandia High School had been more into football and baseball. indent
   endind     But Martin McOsker said that, while was his son was attending the University of New Mexico, Kenny was invited by a friend to a rodeo training school in Peralta to try a ride on a mechanical bull, which was soon replaced by a live animal. indent
   endind     "Once he got on that first one, that was the only thing he could think of until the next weekend when he could get on again," McOsker said. indent
   endind     And from then on, Kenny McOsker was hooked. Doing rodeo, especially riding roughstock — the event in which a bull or a horse does its best to buck off the rider — became something he did most every weekend from spring until fall. indent
   endind     It's the family atmosphere of amateur rodeos that attracts many of its participants. Each weekend, there is at least one event going on somewhere in the state of New Mexico, and many times — such as over the Fourth of July weekend — every small town seemingly has an event. indent
   endind     And each weekend, friends from the young to the old meet up to celebrate "the cowboy way."indent
   endind     "It's good family fun," said Jeff Herndon, president of the Estancia Valley Rodeo Association. "You make friends at these events, and those friendships can last a lifetime."indent
   endind     The sport creates a bond that lasts through the stages of life. Several weeks ago, professional bull rider Travis Briscoe, one of the top professional riders in the world, showed up at a bull-riding event in Estancia, offering a hand and a little advice to some of the younger riders. Briscoe grew up in the Estancia Valley and cut his rodeo teeth as a youth in New Mexico events. indent
   endind     "The bonds are very close," Herndon said. "It's a close-knit community."indent
   endind     'They have to do it'indent
   endind     Ask any cowboy, and he will tell you that rodeo is a dangerous sport. Martin McOsker said that his son had suffered numerous injuries, from a dislocated hip and shoulder to a broken leg. indent
   endind     "Every time they get on an animal, it seems they get hurt," McOsker said. indent
   endind     But most participants will tell you that injury is part of the sport. indent
   endind     "Rodeoing is dangerous. Riding a horse in a pasture is dangerous. It can fall and roll over on you," said Red Kingston, president of Mountainair Gymkhana Rodeo, and past president of the New Mexico Junior Rodeo Association. "But it's dangerous for me to drive into Albuquerque. It's dangerous taking a shower — you could slip and hit your head."indent
   endind     Martin McOsker said his son knew about the dangers of rodeo. On the day before his accident, McOsker said Kenny had a slight mishap and had considered not riding Sunday. But, at the last minute, he decided to go ahead and ride. indent
   endind     "I think it has a pull stronger than drugs on these guys," McOsker said. "They have to do it."indent
   endind     On Sunday, Kole was watching his father from the chute as he headed into his final ride. indent
   endind     "He saw the whole thing," Martin McOsker said. "He told my wife the other day, 'My Daddy's with the angels.' I'm not sure he understands everything, but his whole family will be there for him."indent
   endind     Martin McOsker has no angry words for the sport that took his son's life. As a matter of fact, he said he has been moved by the support his son's family is receiving from the rodeo community. indent
   endind     He said he knows that Kenny was someone who lived life and preferred to confront its dangers instead of hiding. indent
   endind     For Kenny's epitaph, the elder McOsker has chosen a line from a Chris LeDoux song:indent
   endind     "Better eight seconds in the arena than a lifetime in the stands."indent
   endind     Mountain View Telegraph Staff Writer Harold Smith contributed to this story. indent
   endind     Roping fundraiserindent
   endind     A benefit roping event is slated for today at the Belen Rodeo Grounds for the family of Kenny McOsker. indent
   endind     McOsker died Tuesday after an accident Sunday at a rodeo in Galisteo. He and his family had lived in Los Chavez for years before moving to the Edgewood area about six months ago. McOsker was married and had three children with a fourth on the way. indent
   endind     The roping event will start at 5 p.m. indent
   endind     Donations can also be made at any Wells Fargo Bank. indent
   endind     Kenny McOsker's funeral is scheduled for Aug. 7 at 10 a.m. at the Moriarty Civic Center in Moriarty. indent
   endind    
only display footer on web pages not on mobile devices # printenv
Read more: ABQJOURNAL NEWS/STATE: Rider Grabbed Life by the Reins http://www.abqjournal.com/news/state/2402953state07-24-10.htm#ixzz0ubzeyyYH

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers

I am so very sorry for the loss you, your family, & friends are dealing w/... It is never easy especially when it is a life that is so young... I will pray for the strength of you and your family, & that time will help heal some of your wounds... God Bless!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I just saw your post.  Our sympathies to you and your family.

So sorry for your loss, and prayers have been sent for your family and friends. I wish I were close enough to your location to help. 

sorry to hear about your loss. I know everyone else has said this but if I lived near you I would be there in a heart beat.
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky