"MEDIUM" Spare ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mofo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Apr 29, 2008
Topeka
A local store has "Medium Spare Ribs" on sale for 1.38/lb. What would them mean by "medium" spare ribs? We are having a pot luck lunch next week at work and I was thinking about getting some to take to the luncheon. But I have never seen the word "medium" used in from of spare ribs before. I wonder if they are a cheaper or lower grade of meat...

The most sought after spare ribs are those that weigh 3 1/2 pounds or less...Commonly referred to as "3 1/2 down" The ribs are small, tender, and cook up easily. In some areas not easy too find ~~~ Another size/find are ribs that weigh 3 1/2 - 5 pounds. This size would be what you would normally expect to find in your routine grocery store...With larger bones, they still can be cooked to a nice and tender stage...Sometimes you will encounter ribs marked and sold as 5 pounds and up...These are large spare ribs, possibly from an old sausage sow...With a lot of patience and experience they can be eatable...A little chewy maybe...but eatable. ~~~ My guess would be that your local store advertising "Medium" spare ribs they would fall into the 3 1/2 -5 pound range...HTH

Have Fun!

Thanks for that good info Corn Cob. I usually get mine at Sam's Club, but this price kind of caught my eye...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky