Meatloaf with pork, venison and bear

Discussion in 'Wild Game' started by sadfjnb, Sep 3, 2009.

1. sadfjnb

sadfjnb Newbie

Im thinking about smoking my first loaf this weekend, I was thinking about using a pound of ground Berkshire pork, a pound of ground venison and for a kicker a pound of ground bear... Ive NEVER used bear for anything before... does anyone have any experience with it? would it would well in a meatloaf? I know the venison is very lean thus why Im using the pork, but what can I expect with the bear?

thanks

2. rivet

rivet Master of the Pit OTBS Member

From what I have heard, bear can be a very fatty meat. Since I don't know where your cut the ground (I am inferring you are using) bear comes from, can't help you any further.

I say go for it, capture the entire process (raw, forming it, and cooked) with pictures and post them. Someone's bound to come up after that and help!

Pics always will draw out the folks. Good luck to you, and hope you have a great smoke!

3. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have made a many a meat loaf and yes I have put in some pork and even some venison but never a bear or any part of one. Was it a black bear. Yea like Rivet said please follow up with alot of Qview.[​IMG]

4. sadfjnb

sadfjnb Newbie

Thanks... Im thinking about skipping out on the bear, the greasiness scares me, plus it was give to me from friend of a friend... I dont want to screw up the loaf... so Ill prolly stay with 1 pound of pork, one pound of venison, and maybe a pound of beef... I might have to take a stab at some ABT's as well... Ive never tried them either but Ill will take some pics and post them as it goes...