Meatloaf beetloaf I used to hate meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fire it up

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 24, 2009
South Jersey
I have never been a fan of meatloaf. Maybe I had it too many times as a kid, I'm not really sure why.
So while browsing the meat section they had meatloaf/meatball mix on sale. Nothing more than ground beef, pork and veal. The sell-by date was getting close so I grabbed 2 packs just over 1lb each for $2 each.
I absolutely love turkey and so I figured if I was going to smoke a meatloaf and not know if I would like it or not I grabbed some ground turkey to do a turkeyloaf.

For the meat I pretty much went by a recipe that Solar posted
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...eatloaf&page=2
Except that I added cubed cheese and no bacon. The turkey was just your normal meatload ingredients and cubed cheddar and jack throughout.

Since I had a little extra room on the smoker I made what I guess would basically be a turkey fattie. Took some extra turkey meat, sliced a Johnsonville sausage and some cheese inside.

About an hour in...

Bout a 1/2 hours or so I brushed with a sauce of ketchub, BBQ and some habanero hot sauce

Brought turkey to 160 then threw under the broiler for a minute

Meatloaf sliced, forgot to get ones of fattie and turkey...

All on a plate

I have to say that I no longer hate meatloaf though I don't love it either. I did prefer the turkey more (don't judge me) but I figured I would. I really enjoyed the roasted corn inside and the sauce on top was great, sweet and spicy but not overpowering.

Thanks for lookin.

Well, if you don't want the meatloaf, you can express it to me w/ some dry ice
biggrin.gif

But seriously, it looks like it came out great. I'm sure the pork and veal mixed in gave it some character.

Thanks for sharing the pics,

Tom

Your meatloaves looked VERY tasty, and this is from someone who doesn't ordinarily care for meatloaf. Good job! I like the cheese-spelling too...points both for good meatloaf and spelling!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif

Added story- After my folks got divorced, us kids lived with my dad. Bless him he tried to be a good dad, he did a fine job providing for me and my 2 sisters, but his cooking S*****!

He claimed to be a former chef in his younger days, but soon enough we knew better. One of his "signature" dishes was meatloaf.

(the closest he ever got to being a chef was working as a delivery driver in a bakery back in New Orleans, and as a machine gunner in the pacific during WW2 when he talked to the cooks!)

Now you gotta understand my dad. A child of the Depression, everything was extended and nothing went to waste.

One day showed me his secret meatloaf recipe. It started out with one pound of fatty burger (cheaper) and an ENTIRE box of saltines. Yes. Four rows of crackers were joyfully punched down into crumbs by a nine-year-old boy, then poured into a large bowl, to which the beef was added.

A half-bottle of ketchup was glugged on top, as was a pinch of pepper and salt.

After kneading the mess by hand (I loved it, by the way) we jammed it into two meatloaf tins.

The crowning achievement as he called it (and to this day makes me dislike meatloaf) was pressing a trench down the length of the mess with his middle finger, then filling that trench with ketchup- "a wonderful thing" according to him.

Once this loaf was done he would make great ceremony in turning it over onto a serving dish..."Look how smooth it comes out" he would beam.

When my sisters and I would balk at the ketchup string on top, he would pick up one end and pull the entire thread up and put it on his plate. "The best part"!

I stilll shudder at the floppy wormlike string of cooked ketchup pulled off the meatloaf. Ack!

Of course the meatloaf itself tasted like what it was......saltine loaf with a bit o' meat grease.

Gosh it was dry and tasteless and kind of greasy on top. But it was the way meatloaf was supposed to be according to my dad, and he was proud of it!

Hmm. It takes a pretty darn awesome form of meat-loaf for me to think it's okay.

FiU, you did good! And I know you now know I mean it! *grin*

like rivet i never really cared for meatloaf either. but yours really looks good, might have to give that a shot!!! nice job and thks for sharing...

Great story Rivet, I still shocked about the line of ketchup. Those old timers really knew how to stretch things and love every second of what was available. Can't say I blame you for not liking meatloaf after that.
Hmmm...saltine fattie filled with ketchup and a ketchup crust?
Thanks for sharing your story, now I can't stop picturing that in my head.

Me too...I have never cared for baked hamburger...But when you make a meatloaf and smoke it, there is nothing like it...I Love it fixed that way...I read about using Jack Daniels and apple juice as a spray...I introduced Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum, which many are using now...It gives the meat a good flavor and and good bark to boot. When you do one and your neighbor lady comes to get the receipe, you done something right...LOL..

Use this spray with your favorite Meat Loaf receipe and ya can't go wrong...

Steve

Now with meat loaf like that, what's not to like? Thanks for the pics.

Great looking loaves. And unlike most people around here I love meatloaf. Especially that chewy string of ketchup on top. :)

Oh, and I particularly liked the cheese "SMF". Nice work. It won't let me give you points, but if I could I would.

Nice job Fire on the meatloaf. I tried it a month back and that's the only way I will do it. Looks delicious.

I too used to dislike meatloaf, but lately I have had a few good versions. Now with the pics of what you turned out I believe I am going to become a big fan of meatloaf.

those look excellent.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky