Meat smoking journal

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cheech

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Dec 19, 2005
Beautiful Grand Rapids Michigan
Many of the books that I have and have read say to make sure that you keep a meat smoking journal.

How do you do it?

Do you have a template that you would be willing to share?

Cheech, I don't have a template (but that gives me an idea)-

What I do is jot down the date, meat, type of cut and the weight of it. Then I list my preparation details-which rub I uses, if I brined or not and the type of brine. What smoker I used and what type of wood(s) used for smoke. What type of mop I used and when I started mopping and how often. I also note the weather conditions (hot, cold, wet, dry, wind-no wind) my starting time and finishing time and finishing temperature.

I also list the relevant comments and suggestion my guests makes as well as my own observations-like if I need to add or reduce something to my rub or pull the meat sooner or leave it in longer. And I'll also down any ideas that I might want to try the next time.

I hope this gives you some idea of what to put down. Remember it is your journal and you can make it as simple or as detailed as you like.

Bob, Thanks for posting the link-it looks just like what I had in mind. Like they say-"Why reinvent the wheel?"

Most welcome. :D

The Excel sheet can be modified pretty easily AND you can event develop charts to show temperatures overlaid in graph form. 8) A little geeky but cool.

Ain't nothin' wrong with 'geeky' :D

was going to ask this very question. glad i did a quick search first. for anyone else curious about this the link posted is very good starting point to keep a log if you've been looking for a template,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky