meat probe waterproofing

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cab2g

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 13, 2012
Chicago, IL
After reading a bit about the Maverick ET-732 I decided to purchase one. I hear that the probes cannot be submerged due to a the lack of a water tight seal between the braided cable and metal probe. I hear this is normal for all cabled probes. Has anybody tried sealing up the junction with high temp silicone? Will it affect the readings adversely? I have some extra 700 degree silicone and I figure that would help in case liquid somehow manages to get near the junction. Btw, the silicone I have has copper in it so my assumption is that it is conductive.

Last edited:
I put blue high heat automotive silicone on mine and have not had any negative effects, I am careful about getting them in the water and have not submerged them to test the silicone.Mine still boil test fine and have given me no problem.

Well I tried it. The probes still seem to read room temperature just fine! So far so good! The stuff I have says "sensor safe" whatever that means, so maybe that just means non-conductive. They should just write non-conductive on the packaging! Hopefully my probes won't be breaking any time soon.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky