Meat grinders - LEM 575 vs Chef's Choice Kitchenaid

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mummel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Massachusetts
My Kitchenaid Mixer is 1HP . The LEM is 575 watts.  Any idea which one will perform better?  Im trying to reconcile these two specs.  TY. 

IMO, the gap between the auger and tube is the most important spec..... On the KA stuff squeezes past the auger and doesn't grind.... Especially critical if you twice grind meats... I have a KA and the grinder attachment... It's OK for making 2#'s of ground chuck for a couple burgers, but after that, it fails compared to stand alone grinders...
I have the Kitchener #12 which is an entry level grinder but I think it's a darn good grinder for the bucks.....I've ground 35 #'s at one sitting... no problems.... usually around $99 at Northern Tool..... ...http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_food-processing+meat-grinders+electric-meat-grinders

Last edited:

My Kitchenaid Mixer is 1HP . The LEM is 575 watts.  Any idea which one will perform better?  Im trying to reconcile these two specs.  TY. 
The kitchenaid is a multi-tasker and a gtreat addition to any kitchen. But as a multi tasker its gear ratio on the grinder is built around making a pound of hamburger out of a old roast. You can use it to grind AND stuff sausage but the grinding will be very slow and require a unforgiving amount of cold chilling.

The LEM is a dedicated grinder and will wiz thru your grinding needs much faster with less effort. Although there are those here who try and disuade you due to past problems with their customer service.

So if its only going to grind meat I would go with a dedicated grinder, if you need to knead bread and whip cream or mash potatoes and grind meat slowly....... go with the Mixer.

Just my perspective.

IMO, the gap between the auger and tube is the most important spec..... On the KA stuff squeezes past the auger and doesn't grind.... Especially critical if you twice grind meats... I have a KA and the grinder attachment... It's OK for making 2#'s of ground chuck for a couple burgers, but after that, it fails compared to stand alone grinders...
I have the Kitchener #12 which is an entry level grinder but I think it's a darn good grinder for the bucks.....I've ground 35 #'s at one sitting... no problems.... usually around $99 at Northern Tool..... ...http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_food-processing+meat-grinders+electric-meat-grinders

yeahthat.gif

Yes, I strongly suspect that ~60 years of use has worn the specs on the original auger in the Chop-Rite - not only around the worm but also the end shaft and its hole in the plate, allowing some wobble.

I already own the mixer and the attachment is $40.  So a standalone grinder would cost a lot more.  What about a reverse button?  The Kitchenaid does not have that.  Is it important?

I checked out the Kitchener line.  The ones that are stainless steel jump 2-3X in price.  Is this one not stainless?  Have you had any rust issues?

No one can tell you what you need. A saleman will sell you whatever they can, but you need to decide what you are going to need and if what you want, is worth the extra cash.

Buy a Lang or a Masterbuilt, they both do basically the same thing. What do you need, and what do you want, is the cost worth it to you?

Its all about you.

"TY.  I dont see many responses on this topic.  Not many sausage guys around?"

We can't tell you what car you should buy either. Everyone's opinions are different.

Similar to Dave and lots of other sausage guys around here, the Kitchener 12 will meet your needs up to 35-40 lb batches. If you're going to do anything more, or have a need for super fast grinding, go bigger. I haven't used the LEM mentioned, but I imagine it's on par.

I have a LEM #5 and it works great. I usually do about 30 lb batches. To stuff you should have a foot switch and 2nd person. I recently got a deal on an 11 lb vertical stuffer but have not used it yet.

I have the kitchen aid with attachments. it works fine , my only issues were it did not have a large / course enough plate and it was a very slow process for grinding. I upgraded to to a Weston # 22 and it is probably more than I need most times but it churns thru the meat and fat faster than I can feed it and keep the tray filled, it just idles along and is very easy to clean but as others have said it all boils down to budget and needs. what used to take us all day (almost a chore) to two to 3 hrs after clean up and packing away. to me that was worth stepping up.the other thing that was important to me was all the grinding parts are all metal no plastic and plenty of plates available. as they say you pay up front or you pay in the back end but dealing with replacing worn out parts often?

Good Luck with your choice,

Tom

I dont anticipate using it much.  Just during the summer months and just used for grinding pork butt and cheap cuts of beef/chicken into sausages (maybe 20-30lbs a year, I have no idea yet, never made sausages).  I will never do large grinds like a deer or anything like that.  I'm sure the Kitchenaid grinder will work for $40.  But if I spend an extra $55, I can get the LEM #8 575W. 

I'm trying to decide what would be the best move.  What would you do?

Last edited:
I have the LEM 575, and it's been perfect for me so far.  I have only done batches of 5 - 15 lbs, and typically only stuff that needs to run through one time.  I grind my own beef for hamburg, and pork shoulder for sausage. I couldn't justify the money for anything "bigger" than the Lem, but have been pretty happy with it. 
I do have a kitchen aide with some attachments, but had seen some bad review (can't remember where) about the grinder attachment.  I do know that it sits pretty high on the counter when working with it, and if trying to stuff with it, it would be a lot of work.

Good luck with your decision!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky