Meat Grinder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kadoka

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 8, 2011
Monee, Illinois
Hey Guys, Getting closer to sausage making. Got my Kitchener 15# stuffer the other day, looks like a nice piece of equipment. Now for the grinder. Budget is $350- $400 but lesser would be better ( lots of other things to buy ). I did get some input on LEMs, how about Weston, others ? Looking at maybe a size #8. Thanks in advance

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200451267_200451267

Kadoka, evening... I bought this grinder 6 mos. ago.....  Noisy but works well... If you wait, it seems it goes on sale for $99 every month or so...  Even has reverse.... 

The throat of a #12 allows for larger chunks of meat to feed vs. #8... No big deal, just depends on how much meat you will grind and the size of the chunks you will have to cut to get it to feed.... I'm sure a #8 grinder grinds a finished product equal to a #12... 

I previously used a Kitchen Aid mixer with a grinder attachment, until I broke brides mixer... then I bought the #12 and repaired brides mixer.... I still use the KA grinder for small batches of grinding...   Dave

Last edited:
+1 on the Cabela's Commercial-Grade grinders. Well-made; built like a tank; powerful, and come in a variety of sizes & power.

The biggest ones are REAL monsters, but even the smaller ones are 'beastly'....
biggrin.gif

-Kevin

22fc0447_commgradegrinder_250x225.jpg

Last edited:
Cabela's is my vote. I have it and love it.

For a budget grinder the northern #12 is a good buy, that's what I run and it eats what I feed it no problem. A couple buddies at work run the #32 cabalas commercial and that thing is a beast! It can do some serious work in a very short time. It really depends on how much you plan on using it and how valuable your time is to you. Both grinders will do the job, one better than the other but it will cost you.

One note on the Cabela's commercial grinders— they occasionally have 'refurbished' models available. These 'refurb' models are usually returns that may or may not have even been used.

One can save a substantial amount of cash (>$150 or more) on these models.

They're still not 'inexpensive'—but I expect mine to last quite a long time. I figured it was cheaper to bite the bullet upfront rather than outgrow a lesser-powered grinder that would need upgrading in the near future as my sausage production increases.

My 3/4HP #12 model is more than enough for my needs now and I really dont expect to have to upgrade.

It makes quick work of 15 pounds of meat.

e5eb5339_Bolog_grind1_lg.jpg

if you need BIG & POWERFUL, there's always this monster of a home-grinder:

Last edited:
I have the Cabela's Pro series grinder. It's not as powerful as the commercial grinders, but it works just fine for me.

I have owned the Cabela's # 8 for 4-5 years now and have been very pleased with it. I usually grind about 200-300 lbs. of meat a year, if you are going to be doing more than that you may want to look at a larger model, but if you are just going to grind ever now and then the # 8 is the way to go. I will say the foot peddle makes a world of difference, you don't want to allow the grinder to run without meat in it. It will allow them to rub together causing premature ware on your equipment and heat, causing your meat to be warmer than you want it to be for processing.  Another good investment is to buy a can or tube of food grade silicone, spray or wipe a small amount on your knife and plate, it will help protect the both of them.  Good Luck, take plenty of pictures and have fun!!!!!!! ShoneyBoy .....

Another good investment is to buy a can or tube of food grade silicone, spray or wipe a small amount on your knife and plate, it will help protect the both of them.
+1 on this stuff.

Cabelas won't/can't ship it to California, so I had to venture into Nevada to pick up a couple cans of the spray. It does do a great job in keeping the parts protected & operating smoothly.

-Kevin

Last edited:
+1 on this stuff.

Cabelas won't/can't ship it to California, so I had to venture into Nevada to pick up a couple cans of the spray. It does do a great job in keeping the parts protected & operating smoothly.

-Kevin

They also sell it as a paste, in a tube, like tooth paste, if that helps....I found it at my local restaurant supply house.

My brother got the LEM #8 almost 3 years back and has never had an issue with it.  We knock out good size batches (250 to 300) pounds 2 or 3 times a year and smaller ones 2 or 3 more times.  Everything from Italian sausage to snack sticks.  Never a problem.  Not real fast but easy to clean and reliable.  Got it for less than $300.  Anyway, it keeps me from having to buy one!!

Last edited:
They also sell it as a paste, in a tube, like tooth paste, if that helps....I found it at my local restaurant supply house.

You mind telling me which supply house? Got a kitchener # 12 grinder last week and LEM stuffer should be in today. Might as well start off right and lube the grinder b4 i ever use it.

You mind telling me which supply house? Got a kitchener # 12 grinder last week and LEM stuffer should be in today. Might as well start off right and lube the grinder b4 i ever use it.

Eman, I buy it at Ducote's restaurant supplies on Florida Blvd, down near Foster. If you are going west on Florida, it will be on the left about a block down next to an Auto Zone (I think) and an old hotel (don't remember the name of it). The tube, if I remember is less than $5.00; I like to wipe a little plate to prevent friction between blade and the plate. They may have it in a spray can, I have it too I kind of go a little over board with it, but before I use my machine I spray the auger and throat of the neck to help prevent the meat from sticking. I don’t really know how much of a difference it makes, it was just what we did in class and they said that it was good protection for the machine. The wife and kids bought me the spray can at BassPro for Christmas last year, I don’t know how much it cost, but I do remember it is a LEM product. Now that you have a new grinder I hope to see some pictures of that baby in use!!! Hope this helps my friend…..  ShoneyBoy……

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky