Meat Grinder - Gear Reduction Drive

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mossymo

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 30, 2007
Glenburn, North Dakota
A friend of mine is looking at putting together a motor driven grinder and asked my opinion on the following gear reduction drive.
eBay item # 270446765294

Personally I do not think a "for home use" cordless 3/8" drill or a 3/8" electric drill would work out well. I think a heavy duty 1/2" drill might work but the motor isn't designed for long running times and also do not think drills spin at high enough rpm's to hook up to a 33:1 gear reduction, I feel the grinder would be turning too slow.

But I do think a 1725 rpm 1/2 HP electric motor would work; the grinder should be turning at around 52 rpm's. Ths is a tad slow but I feel it would work.

I am curious what other members thoughts are and also wondering if anyone else has ever tried one of these gear reduction drives? Thanks in advance for any replys !!!

I would agree with you. I have seen one of these in action and it would turn it as a decent speed but the drill overheated after a short period.

Beer-B-Q
I appreciate the help, but my friend wants to set it up with more of a direct drive with out using a pulley. This is how I constructed my grinder - http://www.sausagemania.com/grinder.html - I put mine together quite a few years ago, it works great but for simplicity and safety I wouldn't mind finding a gear reduction solution for direct drive either.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky