Meat cuts for jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

herkysprings

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Eugene, OR
So I've only ever made the Good Eats Jerky recipe. I love the result but flank steak for jerky is a bit expensive.

I own a deli slicer now, so I was wondering what other cuts of meat might work? How would I slice it? (with or against the grain)

I just use the Good eats method to de-hydrate (no smoke
icon_rolleyes.gif
), and it works for me.

Thanks for the info!

Good Eats Jerky recipe:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

I love using venison roasts or any roast for that matter. I slice it against the grain but other guys slice with the grain so its just a matter of preference. I use my slicer and cut it against the grain then put the slices in my marinade for around 24 hours then throw it on the dehydrator.

I used to make jerky with a dehydrator, using similar ingredients. I used london broils - I'd pick them up on sale, or at Sams. It was always very good, and compared to store bought jerky, a lot less expensive 9and better tasting!).

I'm interested in hearing what others have used.

I was also gonna say the london broil is a good cut to Or even the sirloin tip roast is another good one just cut it in half and then slice it and it's pretty cheap to buy also.

Eye of Round, or Top Round (I think they may be the same cut). London Broil is good too. Any beef with little or no fat marbling. Most other roasts have too much fat IMHO.

I prefer to cut across the grain too. Marinate overnight, dehydrate, and cold smoke afterwards just like you would do to smoke cheese.

A whole beef round consists of three major muscles,top round,eye of round and,bottom round. We cut top round steaks 1" to 1-1/2" thick to make london broils. Not all butchers cut them the same way.I'll try to get some images for you to see.......
color-round.jpg

Have you ever slow cooked a London Broil ? I have not but am thinking of trying one just for grins ..

you can use any cut of meat that you want to use - the cheaper the better. some folks even press ground beef into thin strips for jerky. no worries - the jerky police aren't going to come after you!

as for cutting - with the grain for a chewy jerky and against the grain for something a little more tooth-friendly. try both and decide what your preference is.

Last edited:
"Eye of the Round" trims up nice and very little waste compared to other cuts. Cut cross grain at 1/4" thickness.

I load up when it goes on sale

TJ

same roast ,same cut marinate minimum of 24 hrs an smoke.

I've had good luck with top round. I've heard London Broil is good too.

You don't want anything with too much fat in it though as the fat will turn rancid.

Dave

I always found it the other way. Against the grain is more tender. With the grain results in you biting across long stands of meat so more toothy or chewy.

sorry, scuba - you're absolutely right- i was trying to multi-task again and managed to cross my descriptions.

thanks for catching that and setting the record straight!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

You can also use brisket, arm shoulder roast english cut, moc tender shoulder clod, sirloin tip roast and the heel of the round too.

There is local butcher who can get bull meat, Argentine or Australian. I know, I know, I should buy American beef. I just don't know where to get USA bull meat.
The butcher slices it about 1/4" and it's less than $2/lb. Was the last time I bought some, that is. Made way good jerky.

A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves

Guilty!!!! When I get a hankering for home-made jerky and don't want to buy a roast, I'll pick up one of those tubes of 90% lean ground beef at Wally-World, marinade for 2 hours, load up the jerky cannon and fill the dehydrator.

Sometimes I also grind up misc scraps when we butcher a deer, and make jerky from that ground meat too.

As for whole-meat jerky, I go for the cheapest, leanest roast I can find on sale, then partially freeze it to make it easier to get nice slices right about 1/4" thick. I usually cut across the grain - a personal preference.

The key to me is lean, so that there is little or no fat that can go rancid, should hell freeze over and a batch of jerky last more than a few days (it's gone quick in my house!)

Since you're not looking for jerky to be tender and juicy, any cut will do.

For something really a bit different, I usually do up a few goose & duck breasts as jerky too. It's different, but good.

My meat of choice of meat is bottom round.Or what ever is on sale in bulk. LOL. just trim as much fat off as you can. Save fat for sausage
icon_mrgreen.gif
. (thats anouther thread I'm sure. I'm new here.) Just a short note the fat that is left on your jerky will go rancid if you leave it sit out for a long period of time. But my jerky don't make it that long. I did have some mold on me though. OK it does happen, A freind kept some jerky of mine saved back for a fishing trip it was moldy. Just wipe the mold off, it will be fine.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky