meat cost ??'s

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lennyluminum

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 19, 2008
ST. Petersburg, FL
hey I live in st pete, FL and I was going to buy a brisket yesterday to smoke. well I went to the store ( sweet bay ) and all the had where flats about 4lbs each but they were about $20 for each one. I have never bought a brisket before but this seemed a little high to me at $4.99 a lb.
how much do you all pay for brisket where you are? do you think I will get a better price at a local butcher?

I won't pay more than $1.89 / LB for a packer's cut brisket (that's point and flat together and they weight around 10-14 lbs) and even then, I think that's expensive for brisket.

3.69/lb in Ct. at the butchers place, 3.99 at stop and shop and 4.99 at big y for the flat cuts ... I havent really looked at the price for the packers cause I like the leaner cut

I used to have that problem with high prices and small cuts on brisket.
The absolute best I could find around here was $4.59lb but usually $.99lb
So with prices like that I refused to pay it and hadn't had a chance to do brisket until just recently. Went to the new super Walmart in the next town over to browse and BOOM! right in front of me were packer briskets at $1.86lb!
Everywhere else they are still the same old high price but evidently at Walmart that is the standard price, just got another one the other day, 14.83lbs to corn up and do pastrami with.
Doesn't hurt to call a local butcher but you may not have much better luck on price with that. Do you have a BJs or Costco or something you can check?

Lenny, I hate to say it but go to Walmart grocery store. Under $2/lb for brisket and they have full packer briskets. I also get packers at GFS food/supply stores for about the same price as Walmoart

hey thanks there is a GFS right around the corner from me. I will also check out the local wall mart but I dont really like there meat all that much.

I pay about $1.75 # for packer briskets, have recently been getting Flank steak & baby backs on sale for $2.99 #. All from different stores. I think where you shop can make a big difference on prices, at least it does in my area.

Briskits at my store trimmed for out in the case are 3.99lb. If you want a packer it would be 1.99lb. The amount of fat trim lost is the reason for the big difference in price . that along with if it doesnt sell and you have to grind it into hamburger then you lose almost all your profit. If you dont see somethiing in your stores meat case it usually pays to ask. You'd be suprised what we meat cutters keep on hand in the cooler. In fact I have a case of sow(baby)backribs in the back that i ordered for my own use but if someone were to ask I'd sell'em some for 1.99lb. Most meatcutters don't bite....I might....If your hot!
icon_mrgreen.gif

In Fla I go to Sam's alot and pay about 1.89 lb for brisket. 4.99 lb for ribeye roast 1.88 lb for spares 1.68 on sale. Heck we get chicken 3-4 lbs for 3.00-3.50 and it goes on and on. Not to bad I think.

Lenny, around here the Sams and BJ's will allow you to stroll around the store if you tell them you're trying to decide on a membership. If the meat price is right, and you buy enough, the membership is well worth it.

It's usually have to pay $3.70ish.

I just called the "local" super walmart - they said they have packers for $1.86 - gues sI am going on a road trip.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky