Meat butchering knife

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rgautheir20420

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 11, 2014
Crest Hill, IL (Chicagoland)
So what does everyone use to butcher their meat? I've got a block of Cutco knives that I'm currently using. They are a pain in the A$$ right now. Granted they need to be sharpened, but I hand sharpen then before each use and it's still a tough time cutting up a 10 lb butt!

Something reasonable of course....I guess max out at maybe $40?

Right now I'm using a dexter 6" boning knife. Really sharp and takes a new edge nicely. I think they are about 20.00

I wield a Japanese 8" Chefs knife....nothing to expensive...believe it was about 80 bucks maybe 10-12 years ago. I'm not a fan of any 'sets' of knives...even the Wustofs or Henkles sets are not that good IMO. I also have a 3" Sysco paring knife POS that amazes me how sharp it stays and what I can do with it.....Takes the sliver skin off a 15# clod heart in a flash. The point being a high price does not equate quality. Globe makes a decent blade from the US I've heard. My old head chef had a set and liked them. Not cheap though. Here's one on Amazon I was thinking of getting my foodie son as a heirloom type of thing to remember the old man by. It got high grades from a website I found on knives and seems the customer reviews are good also. And, you can reference other choices there as well for more info.....I also highly recommend finding a cutlery store that carries knives and fondle them for the heft and your hand feel.....HTH, Willie 

Chef, I'd be very happy to get that knife as a heirloom from you. Do you need my address? 
drool.gif

brook, the Dexter knives popped up on my searches, so I might look into those. I think 6" is a little small for what I'm wanting though. Do you find it "meats" all your needs....haha!

Chef, I'd be very happy to get that knife as a heirloom from you. Do you need my address? 
drool.gif

brook, the Dexter knives popped up on my searches, so I might look into those. I think 6" is a little small for what I'm wanting though. Do you find it "meats" all your needs....haha!
LOL.....I bet you would. I've had that link for some time....but choke every time I see the price, not being sure a memory of my sorry ass is worth that. I suppose....Christmas is coming even though we don't exchange gifts. On the Dexter...yep, they come in all the sizes. If you have a restaurant supply like Cash & Carry or RD near you they are out on display. 

Oh just get it for him. Trust me, he'll like it. 

So I'm looking at this size. It's going to be solely used for butchering larger cuts for sausage making meat prep for smoking. 

What Chef Willie said. Hold the knife in your hand, see what feels comfortable. I can sit here all day and tell you how great my knife is. You'll think it's a piece of crap. In the end, it has to feel good in your hands.

It cut my twenty pound Chuck roll like butter! They have all different sizes. It is a really good knife. I'm a dude on a budget (alimony and child support) got my boning knife from work. No I don't work with meat but even Still got lucky to get one free and plan on buying others.

Thanks brooksy. That's very helpful. It's not like I'm handling this knife hours on end. So for me the priority is sharpness and then comes comfort. Any knife would be reasonably comfortable, but I'd get even more annoyed if the damn thing weren't sharp!

I wish I could say I had one go to knife. Over the past 25 years I have collected a ton of knives. As said earlier you should go and see and feel some knives. I have many that are $300+, but most I find myself grabbing are the inexpensive ones. The cutco are used by many butchers, they have a pretty good nonslip handle and can keep an edge if maintained. Another brand that is inexpensive is victronox, they are a Swiss brand.

Invest in a good steel and diamond steel. The standard steel is for straightening the little burs that will form during use. The diamond steel is used to fine sharpen the blade. If used properly you will keep your knives sharp and will not need to run on a stone or have to sharpen very much. I have knives that have not seen a stone in years by doing the 2 diffrent steels.

I wish I could say I had one go to knife. Over the past 25 years I have collected a ton of knives. As said earlier you should go and see and feel some knives. I have many that are $300+, but most I find myself grabbing are the inexpensive ones. The cutco are used by many butchers, they have a pretty good nonslip handle and can keep an edge if maintained. Another brand that is inexpensive is victronox, they are a Swiss brand.

Invest in a good steel and diamond steel. The standard steel is for straightening the little burs that will form during use. The diamond steel is used to fine sharpen the blade. If used properly you will keep your knives sharp and will not need to run on a stone or have to sharpen very much. I have knives that have not seen a stone in years by doing the 2 diffrent steels.

I hate the handles on cutco knives. I have one and never use it. I have a coworker that swears by them...

Victornox = forshnor.

I am not an overall fan of cutco, but I do like them when my hands are all greasy. They also seem to feel better when I have cut gloves on. But like smokers, knives are a personal choice.

The weird thing with the victronox is when using them on a steel, they sound diffrent then most other knives. Almost like they are soft, but they cut like a champ when sharp.

I like Forshnor or Henckels just happens to be what we have. But they all suck if you don't take the time to keep them sharp.

I consulted Pops when looking for a boning knife.  He recommended the Dexter or the Forschner.

His recommendation was good for me?

My restaurant supply only had the Forschner at the time.

I have three Forschner knives and they are all as good as the more expensive knives I have owned or used over the years.

I infrequently sharpen a knife in the home kitchen because I don't have to. 

I am obsessive with steeling them and handling them properly.

Good luck and good smoking.

Steeling takes pratice.  Not everyone can do it.

Well, I think anyone can steel a knife.

But it does require learning a simple but proper technique.

And applying it regularly.

Done improperly it can do more damage than good and lead to frequent sharpening.

Well, I think anyone can steel a knife.

But it does require learning a simple but proper technique.

And applying it regularly.

Done improperly it can do more damage than good and lead to frequent sharpening.

Thats what I meant.

I learned from my grandpap.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky