• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Meal recipes for canned meats

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2015
What meals are you making with your canned meats? I have some canned chicken left, a punch of pork and about to can a lot more venison.

mike243

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Feb 25, 2018
I have never made any and that's my fault, as a kid my grandmother canned meats, I never dived into canning of any sort, my mother done vegetables when I was a kid. Have been told by folks that deer was great canned. maybe borrow the sons canner pot and try a little this season if I get lucky

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2015
Deer is freaking awesone canned. I trim fat religously as our eastern deer are fatty as hell. I still get a little fat ring at the top and this removes all the wild flavor. You can drain the jar and shake the cubes on a plate and smash them with the back of a fork and it splits out like pulled pork.

Reactions: JJS

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined May 12, 2011
Best Venison meal I've had... Canned Venison Lasagna! Add 2 quart of Venison to 1 to 2 quart of your favorite Tomato Sauce and layer with noodles and cheese 🧀...JJ

mneeley490

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 23, 2011
Oh, okay. You're talking home canning. I was in Costco yesterday and saw 3-packs of canned pulled pork. <Gak!> I passed.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
For my canned pork: Stew, pot pie filling, enchiladas, PP sandwiches, huevos rancheros, pork and sauerkraut and hash.

For my canned chicken and turkey: Stew, pot pie filling, chicken and noodles, chicken salad, chicken and rice, cobb salad, and enchiladas.

For my canned corned beef: As a main meal with cabbage and potatoes, sandwiches

1MoreFord

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 4, 2020
I would add stews, soups, and spaghetti sauce for regular canned beef to the suggestions.

Omnivore

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 11, 2019
I've seen pressure canned venison stroganoff recipes that look pretty good. Add a corn starch slurry when reheating and serve over noodles.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2015
I already did the venison Stroganoff. I followed the ball recipe, but it has 2 tbsp of Worcestershire and needs 4, IMO.

I did some chicken in sagetti sauce and it was good, but the wife was like "It's not ground beef" I guess she didn't like the texture. Eery time I look up using canned meats, I only find how to can them.

pushok2018

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Oct 12, 2017
Canned beef - with pan fried potatoes and onion or with your favorite type of pasta...Canned chicken usually used for salads and sandwiches....

Last edited:

Omnivore

Meat Mopper
Joined Jul 11, 2019
I already did the venison Stroganoff. I followed the ball recipe, but it has 2 tbsp of Worcestershire and needs 4, IMO.

I did some chicken in sagetti sauce and it was good, but the wife was like "It's not ground beef" I guess she didn't like the texture. Eery time I look up using canned meats, I only find how to can them.
Now that I think of it, I probably got the idea from you 😆
As a new-ish homesteader and hunter, your blog is great resource! Been trying to convince my husband to build a walk in cooler for me lol

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 26, 2015
It is harder building the room than configuring the air conditioner. Good luck pushing him :emoji_wink:

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.