MD Crab Cakes and Fish w/ qview

Discussion in 'Non-fish Seafood' started by golfnotwork, Jun 5, 2008.

1. golfnotwork

golfnotwork Newbie SMF Premier Member

I've smoked fish, but never crab cakes. I seasoned up some tilapia fillets, put together some MD crab cakes, and cooked everything indirectly on the charcoal grill with some soaked hickory chips for added flavor. I cooked the fish for about 15 minutes and the crab cakes for 25 minutes. Turned out great. The smoke on the crab cakes was better than I had hoped. A little homemade tarter sauce and a few black and tans and I was in heaven.

Mike C.

2. sumosmoke

sumosmoke Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

OMG does that look good!!! Smoked crab cakes, great idea!! Thanks for the qvue! [​IMG]

3. cinnamonkc

cinnamonkc Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

I'm with you Laurel!! Crab cakes are officially on "The List"

4. erain

erain Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

crabcakes always been on my list, but not my smokin list. here in minn they want a ton for frozen ones, more than i willing to pay. lookin to make from scratch. your pics look great and food looks like very good. time pretty short so musta been fairly high heat correct??? good lookin smoke!!

5. jerkyaddict

jerkyaddict Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

awesome idea w/ crabcakes i will def be tryin that one[​IMG]

6. golfnotwork

golfnotwork Newbie SMF Premier Member

Erain, didn't put a temp gauge on it this time, but usually runs around 300 - 325 deg. The fillets were small and the crab is already cooked, so just need to heat through and get the smoke flavor in. If you like crab cakes, you need to try this out. They were fantastic.

7. flyin'illini

flyin'illini Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Mike, Thanks for sharing detail. I definitely have to try this. We miss this and other seafood from living out your way in the past. (VA)