May I present... Texas Pretzels (Pork Belly Prezels)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
full

Alright Y'all! After a few attempts and tweaks I think this is ready to share...

First off, HUGE shout out to Bearcarver Bearcarver for the inspiration! In another Post I did with Pork Belly, Bear said I should make pretzels. I thought on it for a bit and came up with a plan. After a test run the other day I had a game plan and went for it.

I tried various thicknesses and parts with different fat to meat ratios, cook times, temp and think I have a repeatable recipe down. First all the pics and comments(on top):

Sliced up about 3/8" thick 3/8"-1/2" wide

full

Tossed in a bowl with Wooster sauce for binder

full

Tossed with rub of choice. I used Pitfaced On Point

full

Pretty straight forward on how to make these... shape into pretzel onto a wire rack for easier handling.

full

full

Onto the Pitts & Spitts with Pecan pellets in the hopper and smoke tube

full

full

Progress pic about an hour in

full

2.5 hours at 265°F (internal was right around 195-200) they had the right color and crispness is what really determined doneness.

full

full

OK... The other details...

265° seemed to be a great temp to cook them and get the to the right doneness and crispness and rendered-ness haha. 2-2.5 hours total.

Too much fat will curl up and lose the shape but fat is needed for the flavor and texture. No toothpicks or anything needed. they hold the shape really well by themselves luckily! As for the thickness, too thick made them blobby and not look the right way. Too thin and they got crisper but lost that belly succulence. This size was the best combo I could find and am happy with the results!

Next up was the decision of what to eat them with. If they're gonna be Texas Pretzels they HAVE to have fresh Queso and Chuy's Jalapeno Ranch. I found some recipes online for the ranch and just wung it with the queso; Velveeta, Cream Cheese, Green Chilis, Tomatos, splash of milk to thin.

These were soooo good! The Queso put them over the top! The ranch was really good but the queso is where it's at for sure. I'm really happy I pursued these after Bear suggested it! I thought about these for days on end on how to execute, what to serve with, how to get a good pic... haha. I have made and eaten probably 30+ of these so I better lay low for a bit and avoid the Dr. :emoji_sweat_smile: Be warned, they are addicting.

I'm off to go take a small cholesterol coma now.

Cheers Y'all!

DAMN ZACH!! You went and did it...in spectacular fashion. I knew the other day when you were here that you'd already thought about it and had a process figured out. This is nothing short of creatively amazing my friend. All I can say is WOW and LIKE. You get points for both presentation and extra credit for the creative aspect. Is this the same rub you gifted me with when you dropped by a few days ago? I used it on my birthday tomahawk and really like it.

Totally blown away,
Robert
p.s. You have not replied to my email. Tracy gave me the green light to place the order.

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
WOW!!!! YOu just made my shortlist on cooks to come. I love pork belly and this idea is awesome!! Nice job!! I’m thinking of using this concept and rolling in sauce for the final step to come up with a pretzel shaped PBBE

DAMN ZACH!! You went and did it...in spectacular fashion. I knew the other day when you were here that you'd already thought about it and had a process figured out. This is nothing short of creatively amazing my friend. All I can say is WOW and LIKE. You get points for both presentation and extra credit for the creative aspect. Is this the same rub you gifted me with when you dropped by a few days ago? I used it on my birthday tomahawk and really like it.

Totally blown away,
Robert
p.s. You have not replied to my email. Tracy gave me the green light to place the order.

Thanks Robert! I spent a bit of time on these the past few days tinkering and thinking. A bottle of Costco Margarita helped too :emoji_laughing: Yes, this is the same rub I used. Pitfaced BBQ On Point.

Sent ya a text as well.

Misplaced Nebraskan Misplaced Nebraskan

Those look awesome and easy enough to make.

Pretty cool idea. . . Bearcarver Bearcarver is a genius. . .Defenitely worth a try. Like!

John BandCollector BandCollector

Thanks John! Highly recommend trying them. simple enough and heart healthy... or not :emoji_sweat_smile:. Still worth it haha.
OMG---That's the best looking Pretzels I've ever seen, Bar None!!!
Nice Job Zach!!
Like--For Sure!!

Bear

Thanks for the idea Bear! As soon as you posted that my head wouldn't stop turning and thinking. It ate at me for a long time and I finally think I got it. Super excited. and my cholesterol is up a few points after this week :emoji_laughing:

WOW!!!! YOu just made my shortlist on cooks to come. I love pork belly and this idea is awesome!! Nice job!! I’m thinking of using this concept and rolling in sauce for the final step to come up with a pretzel shaped PBBE

Thanks! I thought about glazing too. I tried some raspberry chipotle sauce and they were good! I was straght aiming at Pretzels and cheese this time. For sure lemme know how they are PBBE style. I think this is just the beginning. So many options! Just remember... Take pics! :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: jcam222
For sure lemme know how they are PBBE style. I think this is just the beginning. So many options! Just remember... Take pics! :emoji_laughing:

No need to worry there Zach. Jeff will undoubtedly take pics, and I can guarantee they will be gorgeous. He's turned out some amazing creations recently that are just off the charts. Can't wait to see them myself. Oh...Tracy walked through a few minutes ago and I showed these to her. She was VERY impressed. Guess what I now have on my list of Tracy-to-do's?

Oh well, it could be a lot worse,
Robert

No need to worry there Zach. Jeff will undoubtedly take pics, and I can guarantee they will be gorgeous. He's turned out some amazing creations recently that are just off the charts. Can't wait to see them myself. Oh...Tracy walked through a few minutes ago and I showed these to her. She was VERY impressed. Guess what I now have on my list of Tracy-to-do's?

Oh well, it could be a lot worse,
Robert

That he has and will! Looking forward to seeing what others do. This place is phenomenal for sharing ideas and raising cholesterol! :emoji_laughing:

I doff my cap and bow to the master. Brilliant idea! Big like.

Thank you! Far from the master though. Bear planted the seed and it grew from there.

Very nice ! Those look awesome , nice work .

Thanks! Appreciate it.

Hey Zach!!
My curiosity wants to know:
18 Strips turned into 15 Pretzels-----3 of them didn't turn out perfect enough for the Camera??
Or Was somebody sampling the Production?

Bear

• Haha
Holy S***!!!

Zach, those pretzels look crazy delicious!! I don't think I'd be able to stop snacking on them, I could only imagine dipping them in some beer cheese!

Like!

Hey Zach!!
My curiosity wants to know:
18 Strips turned into 15 Pretzels-----3 of them didn't turn out perfect enough for the Camera??
Or Was somebody sampling the Production?

Bear

Busted! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_laughing:

Some of the strips got thin and tore so they went into a scrap pile to be ground up for sausage

Reactions: Bearcarver
Holy S***!!!

Zach, those pretzels look crazy delicious!! I don't think I'd be able to stop snacking on them, I could only imagine dipping them in some beer cheese!

Like!

Thanks!

Beer cheese was a thought too! I had to get queso in there though. But I bet they would still be amazing with beer cheese. I have made so many of these this past few days. They are addicting! Even cold with a little sauce or dip or plain they are good!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky