Mav 733

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mummel

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 8, 2015
Massachusetts
I noticed today that my Mav BBQ temp probe was moving in increments of 2F vs every degree.  Is this working as advertised?

I noticed today that my Mav BBQ temp probe was moving in increments of 2F vs every degree.  Is this working as advertised?

In all my smokes, the probe that is in the meat has always moved at 2 degree increments. I boil test my probes before each use and since its been accurate, I consider the 2 degree increments to be perfectly normal.

Maybe it has something to do with the programming types ( Food or BBQ) option. Either way, I wouldn't worry about it...as long as it's accurate.

Yeah thats why Im asking.  Both probes are set to BBQ and move in 2F increments.  I dont use the food settings cause I like to set my own. 

Yeah thats why Im asking.  Both probes are set to BBQ and move in 2F increments.  I dont use the food settings cause I like to set my own. 

Not sure what you mean here you can set the meat temperature up to whatever you want it has defaults to start at but you can set beef to 200° if you want.

Mummel, I see both with my ET-733 but primarily it's one degree increments. A couple of weeks ago it did jump from 199° to 201° at the end of my pork shoulder smoke.

I have both my probes set to BBQ, and both probes move in 2F increments.  Im starting to think something is wrong.  I will try the food selection tonight. 

I have both my probes set to BBQ, and both probes move in 2F increments.  Im starting to think something is wrong.  I will try the food selection tonight. 
When you say you set both probes to BBQ are you saying that you have both probes clipped to different racks inside your MES? And by setting to FOOD you'll place both probes inside meat that you're smoking?

The FOOD option and meat selections are just "general" guidelines. Like Brian said, you could set whatever temp you like.

Personally, I find it easier to just adjust my hi and lo temp for each probe instead of scrolling through all the meat selections and then selecting a rare, medium, well doneness temp....That takes too long and if you miss the option you were looking for then you have to press the button a gazillion times to cycle back to it.

I only care what my smoker temp is and what my IT temp of the meat is. And if your target temp is 200° and a 2° increment brings it to 199 or 201 I don't think that will make or break your smoke....as long as the probes are accurate.

The FOOD option and meat selections are just "general" guidelines. Like Brian said, you could set whatever temp you like.

Personally, I find it easier to just adjust my hi and lo temp for each probe instead of scrolling through all the meat selections and then selecting a rare, medium, well doneness temp....That takes too long and if you miss the option you were looking for then you have to press the button a gazillion times to cycle back to it.

I only care what my smoker temp is and what my IT temp of the meat is. And if your target temp is 200° and a 2° increment brings it to 199 or 201 I don't think that will make or break your smoke....as long as the probes are accurate.
I may be wrong but I thought you had to pick a meat type before setting your Hi and Lo temps. If I have to do that I might as well choose the right meat for what I'm smoking. But I always customize my target temp for FOOD and my Hi and Lo for the BARBECUE. I also use the alarms but finally learned to shut off the alarm before opening my smoker door to insert or remove food and for when I foil. That prevents the receiver from beeping nonstop when I'm outside.

As for the times when the ET-733 increases in 2 degree increments, it doesn't bother me a bit.

I may be wrong but I thought you had to pick a meat type before setting your Hi and Lo temps. If I have to do that I might as well choose the right meat for what I'm smoking. But I always customize my target temp for FOOD and my Hi and Lo for the BARBECUE. I also use the alarms but finally learned to shut off the alarm before opening my smoker door to insert or remove food and for when I foil. That prevents the receiver from beeping nonstop when I'm outside.

As for the times when the ET-733 increases in 2 degree increments, it doesn't bother me a bit.

Maybe if it is set on FOOD, you would have to pick your meat before setting your hi and lo. I think both of my probes are set on barbecue and I just select all of my high and low temps from there. I could be wrong as well but as long as we're getting tasty results, it's all good!!

You only set a target temp on the food option. Hi and low are for barbecue options. You can use it either way but I don't even mess with the type of meat I just select whatever meat its on and set the target temp I don't need the thermometer to tell me its pork and its maintaining to be pork so I don't care if I'm cooking chicken and its set in pork as long as I have it set to 170° that's what I go by.

You only set a target temp on the food option. Hi and low are for barbecue options. You can use it either way but I don't even mess with the type of meat I just select whatever meat its on and set the target temp I don't need the thermometer to tell me its pork and its maintaining to be pork so I don't care if I'm cooking chicken and its set in pork as long as I have it set to 170° that's what I go by.
I totally agree with you but being me I just have to have the meat match what I'm actually cooking. Don't ask why...
confused.gif

Maybe if it is set on FOOD, you would have to pick your meat before setting your hi and lo. I think both of my probes are set on barbecue and I just select all of my high and low temps from there. I could be wrong as well but as long as we're getting tasty results, it's all good!!
But the thing about the ET-733 is that it's always switching between FOOD and BARBECUE until you press SET at that right moment when it's on the 1 or 2 probe screen or pressing SET and then pressing the Hi or Lo button to access the probe you want to set. Only on BARBECUE can you set the Hi and Lo temps.

Wait mine doesn't switch between meat and barbecue on its own I have to press and hold set select probe #(1 or 2) then hit mode to switch between meat or barbecue.

Last edited:
Wait mine doesn't switch between meat and barbecue on its own I have to press and hold set then hit mode to switch between meat or barbecue.
Do you have the 732, 733, or 735? I have the ET-733 and it constantly flips between the two.

Mine does switch between the two probes but it says barbecue all the time. I set a high and lo for my smoker with one probe.

For the other probe that's in the meat, I just use the set high temp as my IT. That way it beeps once it goes past that.

I guess with my overnight smoke tommorow I could change one probe to FOOD. I think I never really bothered to change between food and barbecue because I always kept a watchful eye on the temps...and that always worked for me.

I think I'm confused. Are you talking about it automatically switching on the transmitter? I was talking about setting the receiver.
It was silly of me to ask which therm you have since this is a Mav 733 thread. Anyway, I'm talking about the receiver. When I'm using mine it keeps flipping FOOD (and the meat type) and BARBECUE on the top but I can still see the two separate screens below that.  The curved arrow below the probe number box keeps flipping between over and under.

Is this what you're seeing on your receiver?

It was silly of me to ask which therm you have since this is a Mav 733 thread. Anyway, I'm talking about the receiver. When I'm using mine it keeps flipping FOOD (and the meat type) and BARBECUE on the top but I can still see the two separate screens below that.  The curved arrow below the probe number box keeps flipping between over and under.

Is this what you're seeing on your receiver?

I believe you're referring to after you have it set up? If so yes at the top it flashes between the two probes I can see individually like you said split down at the bottom. What I was referring to was when setting it up you didn't have to be quick about selecting meat/barbecue as pressing mode switches it back and fourth.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky