Masses of spares!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

papoo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 17, 2009
Morning, smokers!

I'm about to trim some spares I got on a killer sale (buy one, get TWO free), so I have 3 racks tp play with. I'm having a bit of a housewarming, so I'm doing these, and a fattie.

I've only ever done 1 rack at a time, and used a slight vatiation on the 3-2-1 method, closer to 3-1.5-1 at about 225, with awesome results. They were still very much fall off the bone, but with no mushiness, so I was pleased at the result.

My question is this; knowing we cook to temp/test by pulling the bones, but - as long as I maintain a 225 temperature, will there be any difference in the timing, given that I'm cooking 3 racks at the same time?

I'm using a square vertical Brinkmann, with a different, well vented charcoal pan, so I can control the temperature well, I'm just wondering if it's going to take longer to make the three. I may be doing the middle (foiled) part in the oven, just so that I can put all three racks in one big foil tray at once. This wouldn't fit in the smoker, but saves wrapping them all individually.

Is it ok to use a big foil tray for this? I've only tightly wrapped them in foil before. Does it matter that they're all together, piled on top of each other in a tray with a cup of apple juice, as long as I make a good seal? There will be air in there as a result, but the seal ought to be just as good.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

In the vertical Brinkman the ribs lower in the smoke chamber might cook a little faster so you could rotate them a couple times but I don't think your time will vary much. All the slabs into a foil pan and cover is a good plan. Good luck and don't forget the Qview!

Thanks for the reply. I assumed as much, but we all know where how to spell ASSume!

Luckily, I have a rib rack (modified using the "look how strong I am" method) which will now fit in the smoker, and hold all three at the same level, which helps. The racks themselves will have to be bent a bit to fit in there, but that's no biggie.

I have used a pan before and it works just fine. But i perfer to lay them on theyre own racks. Then again im cooking on box smoker. Would love to see pics and tell us how they came out. I hope you bought all the ribs they had?

I walked away with a lot of ribs, let's leave it at that! In the tray, I'm going to put a cup or so of apple juice, maybe some of the rub. Given the size of my ribs, I can't lay them all down side by side, probably 2 side by side with one on top, or all three slightly overlapping one another.

Does it matter that the bottom part of the ribs is in the apple juice mixture? I'll be laying them bone-side down...

Will be sure to take pictures, and post them up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky