March of Dimes Kick Off

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

walle

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 21, 2009
Fruita, Colorado
Figured I would share this will all of you.

As mentioned earlier, this Tuesday we have organized a fund raiser for the March of Dimes and I was asked to provide the pulled pork and chicken. Have 10 butts in the smoker now, for a pull'en party this evening.
I started off by marinading the butts in a mixture of OJ, Italian Dressing, soy and minced garlic, then rubbed them this morning and popped them in the smoker.

Trying to get a shot of the thin blue here... picture not so good, but it looks awesome back lit by my shed light.

Thanks for checking out my post, I'll be updating as it progresses.
Tracey

Everything looks great so far and I know you will pull off a great smoke for a great cause. So get back to it and enjoy and feed alot of folks there.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

You get
points.gif
from me for taking the time to do this!

Very nice.
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Cant wait to see the finish and Im sure there will be some satisfied people after they eat that find butt.

Thanks again for all of the comments and points. Phase I is complete! Had a great time smoking all of this meat yesterday. Here are the final shots. Gave them just a drizzle of Rudy's and Salt Lick.

My favorite

And the final take

I'll be picking up the two cases of chicken thighs tonight for a quick smoke tomorrow.
Thanks for following this along.
Tracey

Well, I guess I'll just have to self promote this one cuz it's for such a great cause... hope there is more support for March of Dimes in all of your local areas..

On to the post

Okay - figured I would do a quick update tonight, then it will be Project Chicken Hawk starting in the morning.

Ended up with 15 packs of chicken thighs that were on the average of 7# each... DAMN that's a lot of chicken! It's soaking now, so those shots will have to wait until in the morning.
Here's the stack of empties

Have to detour for a minute and share my most favorite apron that a good friend at work made for me - even did the stitching... WAY COOL! I'll be wearing this so that Bob and Keith can find me tomorrow when they come and buy a combo plate... code word - BLUE DAWG:lol:

Until morn'en...
Tracey

That butt turned out great. Bet the Chicken will turn out good too.

I'm looking forward to lunch today. Let me know if you need anything else.
tongue.gif

Great Job Tracey---I'm proud of you! ------>>
points.gif

How long did that pork take?? That was a lot of cold meat in there at one time!

Thanks for showing,
Bearcarver

Well just got back from one great pulled pork lunch. Tracy had the crew moving and serving and restocking, and he had a great turn out.

I am thinking record fund raising effort.

Congrats Tracy on a great job! And wonderful food.

Excellent lunch, Tracey! I had the combination plate (huge pullled pork sandwich, chicken thigh, potato salad and 3 bean salad). Actually, I almost finished the whole thing.
eek.gif
Thanks for the invite, Tracey.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

BC - I smoked the shoulders on Sunday for 8 hours at 230, using hickory and oak. Put them on at 5:00 am, Foiled them from 1:00 - 5:00, killed my fire and let them sit in the smoker until 7:00, took them off and pulled.

Right here!

Before I finish this thread up, I have to say THANK YOU, to all of you. The little ones have a soft spot in my heart...

Then.. a very special, heartfelt THANK YOU to Bob (Bbally) and Keith (Bassman) for showing their support in person today. Means a lot to me, guys.

Bob- thank you so much! The WOW factor is pretty low with the general public, but comments coming from guys like you means a lot. Thanks for coming. I'll be looking you up next year.

Keith - I told you to SLOW DOWN! I want to do a special shout out for Keith. He and I have become good friends... which would not have happened if it were not for this forum. Today, not only did I get to visit with a good friend, I also had the opportunity to meet his son. The walnut didn't fall far from that tree.

Alright - enough of the sentamental BS! Here are the final shots of today. Sorry - didn't get any finished shots of the chicken - had a dead line and too much stuff going on.

Here is the crowd. Bassman and his son are in there, you'll just have to guess who they are!

We SOLD OUT! Over 260 pulled pork sammies, and around 200 pieces of chicken for a gross of over $1,900 - the biggest single event earner in Mesa County, Colorado for MOD this year.... it was a good day!

Here you go!

My crew

Serv'en Line

Folks Mac'en Down

Again - thanks for all of the comments, support, and points.
Tracey

Good on ya Tracey!! Everything looked great. Congrats!!

We're involved with the MOD down here in Houston. Wife and I have sent several batches of food in for breakfast & lunch fundraiser sales they are doing at her office and we also donate a catering package for a raffle. This is our 5th year. We do a package that is either a formal sit down 6 course meal for 10 or buffet for 30.

Unfortunately the $$ raised this year is down quite a bit from the last 4 years but I guess that's a sign of these economic times.

http://www.marchforbabies.org/person...=chefjefftowle

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky