Maple Ham and Bacon cure from Meat Processing Products?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

viciousgolden

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 9, 2013
Las Vegas
Has anyone used the "Maple Ham and Bacon" cure from meat processing products?  I'm going to attempt to make my first batch of bacon and I wanted to give this a try.  I know there is a big following for Instacure #1 but this seems like it's more purpose-designed for bacon.  

If anyone has any good simple bacon recipes, I'd be happy to hear those as well.

Golden,

I have not used the prepared cure, but here is my method for apple wood smoked, maple cured bacon (Also works for buckboard bacon and Canadian bacon):

Coat with 1 TBSP of Morton's TenderQuick per lb of meat. (it's okay to go a little over on the cure, but don't underestimate) Rub this into the meat thoroughly. When the TQ looks absorbed into the meat, coat meat with thin layer of real maple syrup. Finally, apply a light sprinkle of turbinado, demerara, or brown sugar. Place loin in a Ziploc bag with most of the air squeezed out and place in the fridge as close to 38* as possible. It’s a good idea to double up the bags in case of leaks. The meat will start “juicing” almost immediately; don’t drain out this liquid. Flip the bags over each day. Cure for a minimum of 7 days and to an approximate max of 10 days. The rule of thumb is to cure 1 day for every ¼ inch of meat that is to be cured. For example, a 4 inch wide cut of meat will require 2 inches of curing from top and bottom. Two inches will require 8 quarters or 8 days and I always add one extra day for good measure. Take loins out of bags and rinse in cold tap water. Test for saltiness by slicing off a couple of pieces of the loin and fry it up to determine if the salt level is acceptable to you. If it is too salty, place the loin in a 30-45 minute ice bath to extract some saltiness. Test again to determine if an additional bath is necessary. Remove loin from ice bath and pat dry. Coat with a fresh layer of maple syrup and choice of dark sugar; transfer directly to the smoker. Alternatively, you can apply your favorite rub or other flavors at this point. Smoke at 220 - 225* with 2oz wood (maple, cherry or apple). Smoke to 145* internal temperature. 

Cheers!

Has anyone used the "Maple Ham and Bacon" cure from meat processing products?  I'm going to attempt to make my first batch of bacon and I wanted to give this a try.  I know there is a big following for Instacure #1 but this seems like it's more purpose-designed for bacon.  

If anyone has any good simple bacon recipes, I'd be happy to hear those as well.

The maple sugar cure I purchase from a meat supplier comes with the nitrite already added to the mix.... The recommendations for the mix are 2#'s per 100 #'s of meat... I really like it... Check with the supplier for added nitrite, % of nitrite in the mix.. % of sugar and Amount of mix to add per unit weight....

Dave

Last edited:
Thank you very much guys.  I figure I have about a week or two  before I go and get the pork belly.  

DaveOmak, you didn't mention a particular brand or retailer for the cure that you use.

I don't remember who it was... My meat guy gave me 15#'s of pre mixed maple sugar cure.... There was a tag on the box with the % ingredients so I knew how to mix it... If you know the % ingredients, you can mix it for a brine or rub...

My rub was 0.75% nitrite.... calculate that into 2#'s and added to 100 #'s of meat... comes out to 150 Ppm nitrite... I use less for bacon so I don't exceed the 120 Ppm max allowed in bacon, and add extra salt to get up to 2% salt...

Dave

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky