Maple Bourbon Ham

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The ham looks and sounds delicious. Nice job on the qview, also.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Wow..Great looking ham john3198,

I really like the way it finished up.

My wife and I have a Granddaughter's birthday party to go to on Saturday, and one of the wife's daughters was mentioning sandwiches for eats...I think maybe a smoked precooked ham sliced on the slicer might supply the answer...Great idea John, thanks...
PDT_Armataz_01_26.gif

rhage2

A lot of you have asked for ingredient list details, so here they are.

First - credit where credit is due. This is from "Smoke and Spice" by Cheryl and Bill Jamison, 2003 edition. This is a really great book and we cook a lot from it. I would urge you to get Santa to bring you one, if you don't have it.

Maple Bourbon Paste
2 tbs Pure Maple Syrup
2 Tbs freshly grated Black Pepper
2 Tbs Dijon Multatd or Honey Dijon (I use Dijon)
1 Tbs Bourbon
1 Tbs Veg Oil
1 Tbs Parprika
1 Tbs Onion Powder
2 Tsp Coarse Salt - Kosher or Sea Salt

I thought the ham I did earlier this week was a bit salty on the outside - just realized I added 2 Tbs Salt, not 2 Tsp!!! Oops,,,
icon_mad.gif

Per my presentation, do the rub the night before

Maple Bourbon Mop
1/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Bourbon
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 Tbs Veg Oil
2 Tsp Dijon Mustard

I start mopping after about an hour in the smoker.

Maple Bourbon Glaze
3/4 cup Pure Maple Syrup
1/4 cup Bourbon
3 Tbs Dijon
2 Tbs Unsalted Butter

You brush this on the ham a couple of times in the last hour the ham is on the smoker. Personallly, I don't bother. I think it is great with just the rub and mop on it.

Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy!

And thanks for the compliments on the slides....I like to do these. Will keep it up.

I plan on using this recipe to do a ham but the one I have is not precooked as it calls for. Will this make any difference? Should I follow the same recipe just making sure my temps hit ???

I think the rub and mop will be fine, just not sure how to tell you to cook it, since I haven't done a non-precooked one before. Maybe others can help. Might want to start a thread on how to do one not cooked. Not sure if you foil it, etc.

here a couple of threads that might help...

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...t=uncooked+ham

By the way, I assume you are talking about a "cured", but not cooked ham.

If you're talking about a "fresh ham", that is essentially like a butt, i.e. you can smoke it, but it will be roast pork, not taste like ham. The curing is what makes ham pink and gives it the taste (along with smoke of course).

Seems to be a lot of confusion about what is a ham and what isn't. Hope this helps.

Just 5 minutes after reading this post I get a call from a friend to smoke a pre-cooked ham. He happens to be the biggest Jack Daniels fan in town. So it's easy to figure which recipe we're going for. Now not to pick sides with anyone on proper bourbon, especially here in Canada most of our whiskey is "rye whiskey", from the looks of the finished product, whether we're using Kentucky Bourbon, Tennessee Sipping Whiskey or even Canadian Rye Whiskey, most of us are going back for seconds. Thanks for the post John, a job well done!

Adam - I used Hickory the whole time. However, I have just gotten some Pecan, so may try that to see what it does. Hickory is great, for sure.

Great, name, by the way, 1adam12, that's from a loooooong time back!

Just wanted to add that I did this on New Years day for the family and it was a huge hit. Thanks for sharing the recipe with us. I will definately be making it again. Points coming at ya.
points.gif

Tried the Maple bourbon ham. WONDERFUL!

0dda1877_IMG_1115.jpg
ee025a8e_IMG_1117.jpg
cd0ad901_IMG_1118.jpg

To me, this was my most successful smoke so far on new smoker. I used equal parts of all ingredients listed. Friend of mine who is a chef/cook suggested that next time I should half the salt and onion powder. Will try.

Randy

That's a nice looking ham. I just picked one up at the store a couple of day's ago for smoking this weekend. I'm gonna try this recipe out. Thanks for sharing.

Great looking ham. I noticed you had the ham laying down with the cut-end showing. Is there a reason for that position vs having it sit on its cut side. Reason I ask, I did my 1st pre-cooked ham w/bone Thanksgiving & now am looking for some ideas for rubs. glaze, etc. Really loved the ham but just want to expand for the next one.

Thanks for idea.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky