making rivet's head cheese

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
That's looking real good so far! You're good to go on the ingredients and I think the smoked hocks are really going to add something special to the finished goods. Great idea you had and looking forward to the rest. You're making some great old-timey stuff there buddy!

Not to say I am a finicky eater but with head cheese if you put a gun to my head to force me to eat it you would have to shoot me...
icon_mrgreen.gif

Looking mighty fine there! The last pic shows the liquid picking up that pale opaque look to it which means your getting the nice gelatin released in there that you want. Thse carrots did the trick on the pepper didn't they? Good deal. No worries though, everything evens out with that dash of vinegar at serving time.

Hey Beer- I know it sounds and looks kind of weird, but it's a lot better ingredients than the hot dogs we ate growing up!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Don't know that head cheese is something I would eat either, though I won't lie I would at least try it, you can't say you don't like something if you don't at least give it an honest chance.
I'm interested in seeing how they come out for you.

Excellent job so far, Ron! You are right on the money, I had 50/50 meat and discards after picking through mine too. Hocks and shanks and feet have very little meat on them hence the pork chops. I don't think I'd mentioned it but I found about 1/3 LB of Capicola from the deli counter in the back of the frisge drawer so I chopped that up and tossed it in as well. Didn't do anything for mine, as it would have been better off saved for sandwiches! Oh well....

Jim, that's exactly the truth, give it a taste and then decide. You might realize you like it. I sure did after my first try and have loved it ever since. Julia Child probably had a much more appetizing name for it~ she called it pork in aspic.

Tried it when I was a kid and never went back... Just Shoot Me...
icon_mrgreen.gif
But I DO LIKE BROCCOLI...

I have to admit it. That does not look half bad!
Wonder if there is a way to freeze slices then bread them and flash fry them, not sure why I thought of that but I do wonder...new form of an appetizer?

Don't worry Paul, nobody is going to get shot today, well unless I take a quick drive up to Camden, NJ. Once the sun goes down you better get the Hell out!
I'm with you on broccoli, good stuff and spinach too, just don't give me any brussel sprouts
PDT_Armataz_01_33.gif

That is one outstanding success you made there, congratulations. The pepper really made it look good, along with the pieces of carrots in there. I'm definitely going to go the pepper route next time! Think you've done an excellent job in your old-world recipes quest, and certainly have earned points for that.
points.gif

I talked to my mom and she said to have an authentic Polish/Ukranian meal, one has to eat head-cheese with pumpernickle or rye bread, mustard and near freezing vodka. Well, I'll skip the vodka part, but I did have an awesome brunch with a bottle of porter. I want to thank FIRE IT UP again for the awesome Bookbinders Hot Habanero mustard he sent me during an exchange we had. I tried it along with Koops yellow and some Grey Poupon- good stuff! The heat from the habanero mustard really complemented the dried chilies I got from ALX and put in my loaves- as well as the dark beer.

I would definitely give that a try, thanks for sharing the recipe with Tas and in turn with everyone else on here.
Glad that you like that mustard, I still need to try the habanero.
Just found out the other day that company also makes lobster bisque, clam chowders and things like that too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky