Making Bacon. 1st time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

alelover

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
What size bellies do you all get usually? How much per pound do you pay?

I was at a store by my work, Compare Foods, and they have pork bellies for $2.49 a pound. They sell sliced chunks of it and whole ones. He says the average for a whole one is around 20 pounds. It looks like a good price and a pretty healthy size. Is it?

Yea man that's a large belly. I wish we could get them that big around here. The last one i got was about 9 lbs..If the price is the same for the chunks as the whole belly, take the chunks & get them off the thick end.

Al

Thanks Al. I was thinking of cutting in half and vac seal and freezing half. I don't want to FUBAR a whole one on my first attempt. The chunks are only like 3" thick. Only China has more pigs than NC.

Last edited:
3" thick....That's a thick belly...  20#'s... that's from a big pig....   should be really good flavor....  If the whole belly is cheaper per pound, I'd get the whole belly....   It's really good meat for other stuff... 

Bellies I have been getting are usually right around 20. I have been cutting them into 5lb slabs. Works great. Last ones I got were $1.59, which was a great price. Living in hog central (Iowa) doesn't hurt!

Good price any think <$3 and I'm in. Last couple belly's I got were 11 and 12 pound. Wish I could get big ones...JJ

We are pretty hog centric her in NC also. Second only to, you guessed it, Iowa.
29.gif

Great start Scott!

Nice job on the skinning!

Never thought to use an electric knife, looks like a good idea.

Here's a video of a butcher who really knows how to skin one:

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky