making 3 pork butts.. need some help!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oonighttrain

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
ive smoked butts before but, its been awhile.. some friends asked me to smoke 3 butts for there house warming party.. there all right at about 6lbs each. there already getting happy with spices on them..

im smoking them on my rocky mountain smoker at about 225-240 if possible..

question is, approximately how long would be a good guesstimate as far as how long it will take???

thanks for any help you have!!!

I'm thinking 8-9 hours at those temps. You will have the plateau to deal with and it could take more or less time but I would give myself 9 hours to be safe.
Just remember that after you finish them they can rest in a cooler, wrapped in towels and in a cooler that is and stay hot for at least 6 hours.

Usually 1.5 hours is a fairly close guesstamine on pork butts. Now you will have a couple of differant variables to contend with like wind weather and over all condentions to deal with but you have to remember is let Fire said to leave atleast an hour in the cooler for resting and redistrabution of juices. So enjoy your smoke and don't forget the Qview and if you have any question we will be here.

At that temperature, it will be close to 1.5 hours per lb. Since you have three separate pieces, just take the heaviest and multiply by 1.5 hours. However, in my experience, when smoking more then one piece of meat, don't be surprised if one takes an hour or more then the rest. So yeah, I agree with 9 hours too, but don't be surprised if your total time is 10-12 hours.

Just make sure to use a good thermo and get the meat to about 190-200 and pull and foil, wrap in a towel and toss in a dry cooler. Let the finished meat sit for at minimum an hour before pulling to cool.

Please share some qview.

You can also foil them with a splash of apple juice once the inernal temp hits about 165, and then put back on smoker till they hit 200. You don't get as much nice bark, but when I cook butt's that way they usually hit 200 internal temp. between 6-7 hrs, and my smoker runs right around 230-250 in the chamber.

But you never know what the smoke gods will throw at you, so definately allow and extra hour or two. Like Fire said... they can hang out in a cooler for a few hours and still be piping hot.

Last time i did that I had severe sugar burns on the meat with stuck foil. If I did that again, I'd go with a mix of water and apple juice just to prevent the sugar from scorching the meat.

I usually foil at 165 and add a little apple juice to the foil. the butts are so juicy that I usually end up with tons of liquid in the foil when Im doing that I strain the fat off and use it as a sauce if people want. Never really had a problem with the sugar in the apple juice burning. I guess if I was running my smoker higher than 225 it might happen.

Dont forget to take Qview.

Same for me..I foil at about 165 and have never had the sugar burn but I maintain a 225-235 temp on mine the whole time..A little juice of some kind and yur good to go...Dont forget the queu view...I cant help you on times because Ive never timed mine...205 for me internal temp. I start mine around 5am for 6 pm dinner and that gives me plenty of time weither way butt my butts are usually 8 pound sor so..Good Luck

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky