Makin bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

food & fish

Original poster
Probley doesent mean much to you seasoned smokers

Heres my first try at bacon
1f104e8c_101_0537.jpg

As a "seasoned smoker" (age not experience) We all that smoke bacon have had our first  time.Congrats on the milestone and many more to come.I just ordered a belly on Friday and will cure it this week. Bacon is the most requested thing I do on the smoker.Great job and keep it up.Bill  

We have all been there once - that is some good looking bacon, cant wait to see the slices

Got me some belly in the fridge curing as we speak - took 3 weeks to get it so I am excited to finally have it going -

Great job on that bacon, just wish I could find a belly my way.
Do you have a butcher shop in your area? If not do you have a 4H or FFA program? The folks in the 4H or FFA program will be able to steer you to where they get their meat processed for their kids - Good luck and let me know if I can help ya find it - once you do it you are hooked

I have 4 pcs in the fridge curing right now

Do you have a butcher shop in your area? If not do you have a 4H or FFA program? The folks in the 4H or FFA program will be able to steer you to where they get their meat processed for their kids - Good luck and let me know if I can help ya find it - once you do it you are hooked

I have 4 pcs in the fridge curing right now

I found 1 butcher but would have to buy a case, a little to much for me. The search continues.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Very Nice!! .....may your future hold many more Bacon Smokes.....oh and the slicer is pretty cool too...
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Just so you know what i am about i love cooking heres the room i cook in off the verander theres a beer fridge ,an ss hamburger plate from a shop , a ss stove  , pizza oven, all on nat gas, an ice maker, under bench dish washer, stacks of knives ,the slicer ,heaps of pots and pans  ,an bay marie 

A  birkman  smoke and grill [gasser] and i am building a smoker from a ss upright freezer stay tuned
31ddcefd_millys.no.2lys.no.1%20148.jpg

F & F,

NICE Cooking room !

Bacon looks great!

As for your salty taste:

Next time, after you pull it from your cure, rinse it well & soak it for a half hour in ice water. Then take a couple slices & fry them up. Notice the color---If it turns pink all the way through, it's cured all the way through.

Taste it----If it isn't too salty, it's ready to smoke. If it's too salty, put it all in fresh ice water for another hour. Test again---too salty---soak again. Once it isn't too salty, it's ready to smoke.

I soak mine for that first half hour all of the time, and that has always been long enough, except the time I used Hi Mt Cure, which took two hours of soaking. Then it was fine.

Bearcarver 

Just so you know what i am about i love cooking heres the room i cook in off the verander theres a beer fridge ,an ss hamburger plate from a shop , a ss stove  , pizza oven, all on nat gas, an ice maker, under bench dish washer, stacks of knives ,the slicer ,heaps of pots and pans  ,an bay marie 

A  birkman  smoke and grill [gasser] and i am building a smoker from a ss upright freezer stay tuned
As Bearcarver said nice cooking room - looks like lots of fun to be had here

Now that's a smoke cave.
icon_cool.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky