Makin Bacon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gittinit

Original poster
Aug 5, 2014
Cassville Wisconsin
Ok.you wanted recipies. I'm on the road till Saturday. When I get home I'm going to start curing a 25# side with dad's maple brown sugar bourbon cure. I will post before during and keep your fingers out of the way pics. This will be smoked with bourbon soaked Applewood. When your done drooling we'll get er started!

25 pounds!!!!   Wow that's a big-un!!!

The Bellies I get are usually between 10 & 14 pounds, without the skin.

Bear

First when I do my hog I take the bigger ones instead of the petit 250 pounders that a lot of folks think they need. If we're gonna do pork let's do it. Second when I cut my hogs I usually leave the skin on the side until I'm ready to cure. The crackling make it all worth it. My hams (whole) will generally run between 30 and 35 lbs.

110.gif
 Ok I'll play.  Can't wait to see pics of this!

First when I do my hog I take the bigger ones instead of the petit 250 pounders that a lot of folks think they need. If we're gonna do pork let's do it. Second when I cut my hogs I usually leave the skin on the side until I'm ready to cure. The crackling make it all worth it. My hams (whole) will generally run between 30 and 35 lbs.

We do, but most of us don't have access to our own (or fresh) hogs. So we get what we get, which is usually 10-14 lb. sides.

OK. Well I will get pics up as soon as I get home and get started. The last pig I butchered was just over 400lbs. I usually Butcher at that weight. Cuts are bigger and just as good.

OK. Well I will get pics up as soon as I get home and get started. The last pig I butchered was just over 400lbs. I usually Butcher at that weight. Cuts are bigger and just as good.
Damn! I wonder if you make your way into the Chicago area ever....a friend and I might be inclined to buy some pork from ya. We are looking to make some bacon ourselves...so be thorough with the Q-view ;)

Actually I get into Chicago quite often and the guy I buy my hogs from is always taking orders. His hogs are free range and then finished on corn. No commercial feeds. He also takes orders. For whole and half beef and chicken. Chickens run to 7 to 12lbs.
Damn! I wonder if you make your way into the Chicago area ever....a friend and I might be inclined to buy some pork from ya. We are looking to make some bacon ourselves...so be thorough with the Q-view ;)

Actually I get into Chicago quite often and the guy I buy my hogs from is always taking orders. His hogs are free range and then finished on corn. No commercial feeds. He also takes orders. For whole and half beef and chicken. Chickens run to 7 to 12lbs.
Very nice! Care to PM his info? That would be awesome. Keep us posted on the bacon!

Yes. When I get home I'll send his info and see what he has available. I have several farms I get livestock from so I will send you info. Any time you get to sw Wisconsin let me know. I am in Cassville just north of dubuque

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky