Madrone, Tan Oak, and Pepperwood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
All three are hardwoods found in parts of California. Madrone is incredible firewood with red paperlike bark. Tan Oak was used for tan bark (makes lots of ash in the wood stove) and pepperwood is also referred to as bay or Oregon myrtle.

Madrone is also known as Arbutus up in BC. We have one planted in the yard, but not big enough to be dropping any limbs for me.

I have access to some Tan Oak if I want it. Would be nice to know how it does.

Anybody got any info for this question? I now have access to some madrone. We used some to make a luau pit for a whole pig, which didn't turn out as well as we would like. While we were getting the coals going for the pig, we hung some game hens and chickens over the burning/glowing madrone and it turned out pretty well. Not really smoking with it though.

Interesting, Am new to smoking myself, but am using dry fallen Arbutus from the Cowichan Valley this Sat; am seasoning the new smoker drum this week with fire burns. Have built a reverse offset smoker, using an old Fisher Stove as the "firebox". fingerz Xd

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky