Lump versus Charcoal briquettes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pinkmeat

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Lynchburg, VA
I am going to try some lump this weekend. Should I still start it the same way as regular ol' Kingsford (white bag)?

Usually I put it in the chimney starter with fluid, and wait til they're ready, then cook...with easy/good results.

I use a big wad of paper towels with a little canola or vegetable oil drizzled on it to help them burn longer. Works good. Burns better and starts quicker, in my opinion.

Two paper towels and a little oil works very good and doesn't leave much behind. Try it and see what you think.

Only one way to start charcoal, fast, no lighter fluid, no long wait time, no looking for newspaper, gets 5 briquets to 500 started quick!

I put my chimney on top of my camping stove. Some folks light their chimney with their sideburner on their gas grill.

Those little BBQ firestarter cubes also work well.

Is there much of a heat difference in lump or briquettes? I would usually use almost an entire weber chimney full to get the smoker going with briquettes, do I still need the same amount of Lump?

Lump is quite a bit hotter - however you still need a certain amount for a coal bed whichever ya use. You'll get higher temps in the smoker with lump, however.

Carry on, soldier!
PDT_Armataz_01_36.gif

AHH, I have been wondering this....thnx
They sell a good cheap lump at Trader Joes.

BTW, I use newspaper in my starter chimney with no probs at all...one sheet, one flame usually gets it going...
I follow that with another one going while the first one starts my smoker bed. I use CHUNK mesquite for more coals and chips for my smoke.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky