Lump charcoal question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pheinzman

Original poster
Jul 2, 2008
I'm using lump charcoal for the first time today and I notice when I had it in the chimney starter and it was flaming up, this black tar-like goo was oozing out of one of the holes.

After I'd put the coals in the smoker, it looked like one of the lumps had stuck to the hole.

Is this normal?

I looked and everything seems ok. It could even have been something stuck to the newspaper I used to start it, I suppose. The ash it left behind had an orange appearance and was very fragile. The smoke smells fine.

Nope, not normal, sounds like yall got a piece a plastic in yer bag, I'd just kinda keep an eye out fer anymore as ya use it up. Long as the smoke smells fine yall should be ok.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky