Low fat sausage mix

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

morrit

Fire Starter
Original poster
Sep 23, 2015
UK
Hi. New to sausage making... Infact
.. not made them yet! Does anyone have a good basic recipe for a low fat lean sausage ratio? Due to dietary requirements I can't digest too much fat lest I suffer for it... any thoughts? I have natural casings and cellulose casings if that's any help.... thanks in advance folks!

Chicken breast has like zero fat.  Trust me, I know.  It came out tasting like cardboard when I used 100% chicken breast.  So you will need to mix some fat in.  What about 80 chicken 20 fat?  I find 90/10 beef too lean, so 80/20 seems like the right sweet spot.

Last edited:
I don't know what you have as sausage in UK but here we have very fatty "breakfast" sausage and "bratwurst" with a fat content of at least 50%. Same with bacon. It shrivels down to half when it cooks and the fat is a real fire hazard.

We have cuts of pork usually called "boston butt" or "pork butt" which is a shoulder cut with some fat in it. I've ground it many times and it has worked out well, but I have never approached the amount of salt and fat I find in the commercial products. I've actually tried, thinking This is way too much salt, and it still isn't close.

Pork Butts make great sausage. When you cut up your pork butt trim all the fat and put it in a separate pile.Once you have everything 

cut up weigh the lean meat, then add the percentage of fat that you can tolerate  (Sausage does need some fat)  Commercial sausage has a LOT of fat, you can make this lean and flavor it to your taste.

Gary

Hi Morrit, I have made Chicken Sausage, and it was dry due to the Low Fat content. 20% Fat is about the normal.

That's why all the low fat sausages in Supermarkets are like Cardboard.

Once you learn to grind and season meat to your own taste, you will seldom be satisfied with any commercial product. As far as I know, nobody in my circle of friends does that, and I'm the weird guy with the meat grinder. And the knives.

Hey Morrit, you can make a good reduced fat sausage by replacing the fat with a vegetable oil emulsion. this lowers the cholesterol and calories.
Here's a link with some great information;
http://www.meatsandsausages.com/sausage-types/vegetarian/oil-emulsion

I've also had good luck with carb based starches like potato flour and tapioca with aspic as the liquid.
That is interesting.Reading that sight Ordered soy protein isolate. and other for chicken sausage. Gotta cut back, but love sausage. Less salt.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky