Low and Slow to Fast and Furious?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oldsmokerdude

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 5, 2018
LaPorte Indiana
Will be cooking a brisket and pork butt this weekend for about 15 people. Traditionally I've gone low and slow, cooking both at about 225 till done (sometimes wrapped, sometimes not, but I digress). I've been reading a lot about cooking both of these items at a higher temp to cut down on the cook time and perhaps overriding the stall. So was contemplating cooking at 275 until done.

The problem is I'm a bit nervous about doing this, having not done it before. Any tips or gotchas I need to look out for?

BTW, will be cooking on a pellet smoker in the smoking chamber so I can use the main chamber for some ABTs and mac and cheese.

Thanks for your thoughts.

+1; Split the difference if it really scares you. I did once, but went so well that I am pretty much 275F for hot smoking on everything now. As has been said on the various 225 v. 275 threads, the main takeaway is that 225 sometimes works best for your schedule but the results are the same.

I'm in the same boat as you...I have always done my hot smokes for the most part around 225 aside from poultry. But I have been reading a ton on the 275 method lately. If there is no difference in the overall finished product I am all for the faster cook. Let us know how it turns out!

Try it once, you might not go back. I did the hot and fast and now that is the only way I smoke. Keep smoker at 275 - 300, cooks are faster and there is no difference in taste and texture.

I have been going the low and slow route since I started smoking, but 2 weeks ago I did a pork butt on my MES30 at 265-275, and Saturday I did a packer brisket at 275 and then upped to 300 degrees in the oven (due to an issue of my doing - I think) and both the butt and brisket came out perfectly. I believe that I will still do some smokes low and slow when time permits, but i am glad I found that they can be done fast and furious when I don't have the time or just don't feel like doing a long smoke.

I'm a believer when it comes to the pork butt. I did one yesterday and the average temp was between 260 and 270. It was by far the best pulled pork that I have ever made. This thing was like hot butter at 198 IT. I was actually afraid it was going to fall apart when I tried to lift it from the grate. It did not but after resting for an hour or so it pulled like spaghetti. I hear that brisket can have similar results so don't be afraid to try it out. I am pretty sure that as long as you are monitoring the IT of your meat you are going to be just fine. Good luck.

George

I have done a lot of butts @ 275-300 And haven't had a bad one.
I will pan with just a little apple juice 160-170 depending on bark.
At 195 I start checking for bone wiggle. When I pull them I drain the juice "usually a pint"
Rest for about an hour. Just done 4 over the weekend. "It's posted"

I have a theory... More of a "hunch" actually. It has to do with the type of smoker you have. A stick burner needs a whole lot more oxygen (i.e. airflow) than say an electric that's burning pellets. Where this really comes into play is humidity (reduction) with a hotter burning fire carrying away moisture content with more air flow. For example, where you can get away with not using a water pan in a MES at the max 275 temp, but more of a need to use one with wood burning and perhaps charcoal at higher temps. Somebody smarter than me will have to tell me if the reduced cook time counteracts that "drying" effect.

My smoker likes to run in the 250 to 260* range so that's my go to temps. If you do go the high heat method keep a close eye on your temps so they don't get away from you. Especially since it's your first time.

Chris

Just remember the hotter you go with a pellet grill the less smoke you will have,I would hit it at smoke for 2-3 hrs then crank it up but all of the PG cook different it looks like

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky