Lots of Qview for our big Memorial day smoke.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 18, 2007
West Fargo, ND / Northern MN
My brother wl_kb3 came to town for the weekend and we fired up my smoke shack and filled it with meat. It was a long day of smoking as we got a bit of a late start. The meat went on the smoker at 8:30 AM and we didn't get done with pulling and packaging it until 2 AM. We ended up throwing on 5 butts, 2 chuckies and a full packer brisket. We also threw a few stuffed burgers on for lunch yesterday. This was the first time that I have tried a picnic roast butt and also the first time I tried not foiling a butt. I have not eaten the pulled pork yet to see if there is a big difference in taste between the foiled vs. non foiled but I think I will keep foiling in the future as the 4 foiled ones pulled like a dream and the non foiled one was a bit tougher. It still pulled ok it just wasn't any where as easy as the foiled one. I did foil the one butt and let it rest in the cooler before we pulled it. Well here is our qview.

d03f46a2_DSC00312.jpg

The Brisket.

496cc19c_DSC00313.jpg

We tried out a different marinade for the brisket.

2e5f47d9_DSC00311.jpg

The 5 butts.

fc23b7f8_DSC00314.jpg

The two chuckies.

a394d6aa_DSC00315.jpg

I tried a marinade for the chuckies that my buddy gave me for a brisket. I don't think I will use this again as its made for doing a brisket in the oven and giving it a fake smoke flavor. The marinade has liquid smoke added. Still tastes good but there is no need for liquid smoke when I am putting it in the smoker.

a79ae1cc_DSC00317.jpg

Its the next morning and its time to get the rubs on the meat and get them into the smoker.

03340241_DSC00319.jpg

Brisket ready for the smoker.

817de37b_DSC00320.jpg

All on the smoker.

ddb9dd84_DSC00321.jpg

The smoker.

f3af7c80_DSC00323.jpg

d742ff68_DSC00324.jpg

72c0595d_DSC00326.jpg

Some stuffed burgers for lunch.

e524bce3_DSC00328.jpg

Chuckie all rested and pulled like a dream. I normally slice them but this one was so tender there was no way you could slice it.

5e718607_DSC00331.jpg

The point of the brisket pulled like a dream as well. We were going to make burnt ends but my brother decided he wanted to try pulling it.

b9378c96_DSC00332.jpg

Here is the brisket.

a0ad084a_DSC00333.jpg

One of the butts after the bone was pulled out.

2c69a42b_goosepics009.jpg

Nice and clean.

0ce0d2d2_goosepics011.jpg

All pulled.

f66826c4_goosepics005.jpg

Well you get the idea. Thanks for looking at our Qview.

Last edited:
Thanks for providing the great qvue, plus reviews of what ya used and what was liked/disliked about each one. I'm digging your smokehouse, big time!!! Nice work on all the food!

Wow it all looks great nice job

Great Job RB & Bro!

No meat is safe when you two get together!!!!

BTW: How's the ankle?

Bearcarver

Great Job RB & Bro!

No meat is safe when you two get together!!!!

BTW: How's the ankle?

Bearcarver
The ankle is still sore and my whole foot is black and blue but I managed to hobble around all weekend.

We also made my brother a UDS so he is happy. This was the first really big load of meat I have done on this smoker except for our venison sausage and I learned a lot about how the smoker cooks. I have to remember to rotate the meat ever couple of hours so it gets done evenly. We had issues with one side of the meat being 10 degrees or more hotter than the other side. The new Instant read thermometer I got this week was a life savor its a MUST HAVE when doing large amounts of meat.

Great looking smoke good pictures and WOW what a neat smoke shack...

Are there picture or how to some where on the forum??

good work, wish i was near to MN    LOL

It all looked great love your smoker, it is so BIG  inside lots of room! Nice workmanship as well
Thanks. After that smoke I learned a lot and need to change/add a few things. I need to get more grates. I will probably insert more grates inbetween the ones I have. I need to come up with a better way to catch juices because my grates are too far apart and a lot of it dripped to the bottom of the smoker, I need to put a better floor in it so when the juices do spill to the bottom it won't hurt it. Right now I have a piece of metat but there is some wood exposed and its not good to have the drippings falling on that so it will rot also a bit of a fire hazard.

Pretty sweet!  Nice to have the room for a lot of meat, huh?  It's just as easy to tend a smoker for one roast as it is for 5 - 10, so might as well fill er up and have great food all week!  Enjoy!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky