lots a pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bill wilson

Original poster
Jun 5, 2013
I am making about 50 lbs. of  pork butt in my electric smoker 5 lbs. each is it smart to just put them all in at one time or should I try and plan on 2 times  and then whats they best way to keep the meat with out freezing it if so or how long does it stay good n a cooler in foil.   I have 3 days till party time

thank ya'll

I am making about 50 lbs. of  pork butt in my electric smoker 5 lbs. each is it smart to just put them all in at one time or should I try and plan on 2 times  and then whats they best way to keep the meat with out freezing it if so or how long does it stay good n a cooler in foil.   I have 3 days till party time

thank ya'll
For your first question, I would have to say "It depends on which electric smoker it is".

If it's a MES 40 with 1200 watts, you shouldn't have a problem, but if it's a 500 watt Bradley, I wouldn't try it.

Bear

As far as keeping the meat once it's cooked, it should be fine in the frig for 3 days but not just left in cooler.

Last edited:
I have used it several times for pork but the most I've done was 4, -5 pound hunks, if I recall correctly I think it took around 14 hours. i'm having a hard time figuring how long to prepare to leave that much in for.   I guess I can put it in Friday mid day and retrieve it Saturday morning it needs to be ready to eat @ 11 Saturday morning 

your time frame is in the ball park...when i did 8 it took about 13 hours....crank your MES up to 275 for an hour put the pork in and drop it back down to around 240...as the meat heats up it will help hold the temp of the cooking chamber as you check the temp of each pork...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky