Losing the fat cap

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Genius or Crime

• Genius

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lock him up!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

carpetride

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 25, 2008
I have always and I mean always cooked my Butts with the fat cap up but...I'm thinking about actually trimming it off this weekend before I start. My theory being that it is already marbled well enough and doesn't need it. Will it be genius or crime? I don't like hunks of fat in my sammies so it seems like I end up losing a lot of bark as I pick through it during the pull.

If I don't do this I'm going to try saving the drippings and skimming the fat off. Of course would add this balance back to the pulled pork.

I guess it's up to you. I can see one benefit, that you will get a bark formation all around. However, I think you will find that your drippings will be reduced quite a bit. I personally like to leave the fat cap on it. I smoke it cap down so that it acts as a protective barrier from the heat source below. I also think that it acts as a heat sink to help the internal temperature from rising too quickly; which will aid in melting the connective tissues.

Let us know how it worked out for you.

Score the cap like I do. It lets the rub into the meat under the cap better, and helps channel away the fat as it renders away!.

it looks like this after a lil time in the Lang.

see if that works for ya. I have seen an influx of scored butts lately, but haven't heard much about what the folks think of the results.

I've scored a few as well.

I like the concept, Dan....but, as of yet,....I haven't found a butt with that kind of a cap on it......workin' on getting a case of butts from Swift's packing plant....hopefully they will be more like the ones in your pics.....
wink.gif

L8r,
Eric

Cooking a competition we always do at least one butt bald. When you making the turn-in box every piece that goes in it should have bark on it.
Butts do have enough fat and connective tissue to do real well in this style cook.

If you want to collect juices then suspend foil above the bottom the drip pan, that won't burn off juices. I should say competing we normally cook at least three butts usually 4.

Funny this should pop up. Just yesterday I heated a baggy of pulled pork I did a few weeks ago. I don't usually eat some of my smokes they are for Carols lunch.

I couldn't believe what I was tasting WOW. I had no idea what I did, so I searched and found this thread of mine.
http://smokingmeatforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=21403

I must say it was great.

Why? It had hardly any fat cap, and the beef broth and onions were the flavor enhancer, didn't have to skim the fat and the added flavor just made it without any sauce. Just pulled it and mixed in the drippings.

WOW, that's my new method.

Yeh, well.....just cuz we raise most of the pork for the world......doesn't mean we can get it readily in stores for a good price. i.e....BB's here run better than $4/lb........
eek.gif

I agree with earache_my_eye too.

I can get top shoulders and picnics rarely connected for 89 to 99 cents a lb. but by the time you cut the skin off and and trim anything stupid off, you taken at least a 1/4 if not more of the weight off, pushing the price back up to the trimmed ones that you pass up in the first place.

as far as the fat cap removal, PFR man, I hope you at least fry it up or render it for lard. Pie season just ended yesterday, but I think the new season starts today!
biggrin.gif

Well I chickened out yesterday and only put the fat cap down, couldn't really tell a difference. Was concerened that I might dry it out too much and this one wasn't for me. Maybe next time I will just trim it off.

i've done several after trimming the fat cap off and have found nothing at all wrong with them. i have to give credit to MIKEY for giving me the idea. his theory (and i agree) is that you get more bark and also you don't spend time cooking something you are going to get rid of anyway.

I've never personally cut the fat cap off, but my wife has bought some that appeared to have been removed. Didn't really notice a difference.

As far as cap up or down, I've inadvertently done it both ways & couldn't tell the difference either. Since I usually start my butts about 5 am, it's difficult to see which side is the fat cap when it's pitch black outside & working with very little light.

I say, no matter what, if the Q is great & YOU are happy with it, then smoke on brother!

I leave the fat cap an smoke with it facin up. Just seems ta work fer me. Ain't sure there be a right er a wrong way ta do it! Tryin different thins is what make the craft so great!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky