Looky what I got

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Deer Meat

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 8, 2006
Southwest Pennsylvania
This butcher block has been in the family for years, but nobody has ever used it. It has been sitting in a friends barn for about 10 years. The block is 32" x 60" x 18" thick, and weights 715#'s. When we bought our house I decided to put it to use. I will not be chopping meat on it. we will be using it as a island/conversation piece. Here are a couple pictures of the day we pulled it out of the barn, and a few in place in the kitchen.

here is one with my little girl for size comparison.

Shoot, that's a nice one! Your helper is a cutie too!
biggrin.gif

Nice Butcher Block...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

May I ask why you don't want to use it to cut meat?

The reason for not cutting on it is, it is in nearly perfect shape for being almost 50 years old. And once I found out what it was worth my mind was made up to use it as a work station with cutting boards on it.

Mighty congratulations on getting hold of that keeper! No matter how you decide to use it, it is one fine tool. Be proud of that baby!

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

If you ever decide to sell the block that's the perfect person to model it for you. What a cutie. Actually its a family heirloom and should remain in the family , handed down from best chef to best chef.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

There is no way to say this without it not sounding good...that is one good lookin piece of wood!! Will the weight on the 4 points hurt the floor? I know nothing about carpentry so just thought I'd throw that out there!

Oh and another word of warning is that cute little girl is gonna become a teenager!!! LOL!!! Mine turned 19 and she's still my baby girl...and I still make sure the boys fear me! LOL!! Last one was lucky enough to stop by while I was cleaning the 50 cal! The look in his eyes was priceless!

One heck of a conversation piece. That is real cool.

I see you brought it home on a snowmobile trailer....... When do we get pics of the snowmobiles? he he he he Itchin for snow!
biggrin.gif

The trailer is my buddy's. He lives about an hour east of me in the mountains where they get much more snow.

I hear what you are sayin' about my little girl. I am not looking forward to the day when she brings a boy home, and he shouldn't be looking forward to it either.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

Just wait...I hate to tell you this...she could become...I can hardly say this....a.....a......vegetarian!!! I have no idea how that happened!!! LOL!!! She used to love bacon!!! I don't know what happened!! LMAO!

I got one just like it from the restaurant 16' thick x 30' wide 24' deep. I use mine for plants, lol.

Nice find.

Shame shame shame, that was built ta use, in fifty years a home cuttin, ya still wouldn't hardly know it was used. Ifin it were mine, I'd use it. Ya gotta remember, the fellers in the butcher shop were usin heavy cleavers on them, yer knife ain't gonna hurt it on little bit.

Sure is a fine one.

I have to agree, I don't think you could cut up enough meat at home to ever show damage in your lifetime...

I would think at home you would be hard pressed to cut up 4 sides a year and that only if you were a large family and heavy meat eaters...

You gotta remember the ones in butcher shops are used every day all day and probably did more in one day than you would in a year...

edit:
I would however stay away from Raw Poultry on it...

Just clean it up and use a food grade mineral oil on it, not cooking oil or olive oil...

First off she's a cutie all right but just think when she does. I know we wish it wouldn't happen but it will you have a fine place to teach junior the how tos and what evers. thats a very nice table/ block have you thought about sanding it and puttng a new coat of oil on it. You might outta think about it if it's been in the barn for that many years.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky