Looking to go from propane to pellet smoker?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ajbass60

Original poster
Sep 19, 2019
When cooking at 250 to 275, do you still get the smoke flavor. 1 concern is that the Traeger shows smoke mode at 225. I like to smoke at 250 to 275, so my concern would be longer cook times to get the smoke at 225? Any thoughts or suggestions would be helpful. Or is there a another model I should be looking at?

My 3 smokers I'm looking at 1) Camp Chef Woodwind SG 2) Rec-TEC 3) Traeger Ironwood

Thanks

One thing to consider about pellet smokers is when cooking at higher temps, they produce less smoke since they use pellets as the fuel source.
But you will still get a decent smoke flavor at the temps you want to use. Some users will add an A-MAZE-N tube smoker to generate extra smoke if needed.
The 3 smokers you are looking at are good smokers.
Though I would personally lean toward the Rec-Tec.

Reactions: ajbass60
I have a pitboss 1000t2, with this one I don't think I would get much smoke at all at 250-275, can't speak for the ones your looking at though, I do get smoke flavor at 180-225 although a little lighter then i'm used to with my mes 30 with amnps. definitely getting a amazing tube for more smoke.

Pellets are important for flavor. a 100% hickory, Oak, or Mesquite are all heavier smoke flavors. I get smoke flavor on my cooks in those temps but some claim they don't. lower temps = more aroma & taste. I bet any of the 3 cookers you mentioned would be good choices.

Never an issue here on the MAK, smokes quite nicely at 250-275º but as others mentioned, add the A-MAZE-N tube if you want more.

Hey man, I went from a Weber Genesis propane to a Rec Tec Bull and I love it! I've used my Weber maybe 3 times since I got my Bull. At 250 and/or 275, you still do get smoke you can see but not as much as 225 or Xtreme smoke at 180. A lot of Rec Tec users start their grills at low(Xtreme smoke) for the first hour or two which does help. I too like to smoke around 250.

The one thing I'll say my Weber Genesis still does better is doing like flank steak. You need that direct heat source under you to do a good flank steak. It can be done on the Rec Tec but just not as good.

Today I just picked up the Magnum PIG from SmokeDaddy. It is a cold smoker which I plan to use for longer cooks where I want more smoke. For a lot of people, the smoke produced from pellet grills is fine but some of us like that added smoke flavor like from an offset.

To solve my direct heat issue, I do plan to get the re-introduced Bullseye from Rec Tec. Even though that is a pellet grill, it is shaped like a Weber kettle and can get up to 500 in like 10 minutes and can get temps north of 700. Anyways, out of those 3 smokers, Rec Tec is definitely the way to go. I have a friend that has 2 Camp Chef woodwinds and he's likes them but build quality doesn't compare to my Rec Tec. And Traeger....well, I would just say do your research. You will figure out you get better bang for your buck with Rec Tec.

Good luck!

Ok, pulled the trigger on an Ironwood 885. Smoked (super smoke mode) 2 butts and do have a small smoke ring, but not the smokey flavor like my propane smoker? Will try smoke tubes to see if it helps

Ok, pulled the trigger on an Ironwood 885. Smoked (super smoke mode) 2 butts and do have a small smoke ring, but not the smokey flavor like my propane smoker? Will try smoke tubes to see if it helps
You may want to add a smoke daddy cold smoker like I did. You can try other things first though.
Some things to try:
1. Pellet tubes or trays or something like that
2. (in the Rec Tec community - we call it) meat loaf pan trick. You can put an aluminum pan full of wood chips in front of the firepot and it will eventually ignite and smoke. Though don't use wood chunks, I did this and caught fire. I'm not sure how this would work in a traeger though.
3. You can adjust the way you cook. I've done this. Most pellet grills have a smoke setting or low setting. On my Rec Tec is it called Xtreme Smoke and is 180. I've heard some traegers go down to 160. You could use the smoke setting for the first couple hours.
4. SmokeDaddy sells not only cold smokers but also sells something called the Heavy D which you can put wood logs or chunks in the diffuser.
See a thread between myself and others: https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...d-the-heavy-d-stick-burner-attachment.279194/
It is a LONG thread but some useful info. That thread eventually morphed into myself and another RCAlan getting the SmokeDaddy cold smoker - see thread:
Also a long thread but useful info.

I've tried all these with my Rec Tec and the SmokeDaddy Magnum PIG cold smoker was BY FAR the game changer. It wasn't ideal drilling a hole into my grill but to me, totally worth it. I don't use it a lot but have used on Ribs and pulled pork and chicken. Not yet on brisket but I am going to smoke a corned beef brisket so I think I will try that tomorrow but no doubt on the stuff i've use it on, it made that difference I was looking for.

I also came from a vertical propane smoker where I got my smoke from wood chunks and chips and tasted a stronger smoke flavor with my propane smoker compared to my Rec Tec. This isn't a Rec Tec or Traeger thing, it is a pellet grill thing. I did a lot of research on the SmokeDaddy and people have installed on anywhere from a Yoder down to a Pitt Boss and everything in between. It does take out the set it and forget it b/c you have to constantly maintain the small fire and add in wood.

Good luck in whatever you do!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky