Looking for some ideas!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meowey

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 16, 2006
Northern NY (Adirondacks)
Howdy Folks,

Since I got my little olâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji] GOSM in July, Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve spent a fair amount of time with it and you good folks here at SMF. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve learned quite a bit about the art of smoking meats and making good ‘Q. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve made ‘Q for family, friends, and fundraisers. All have enjoyed and complimented the fare. I give most of credit to all of you for sharing tips, techniques and recipes here at SMF.

Here is a list of what I have had in the smoker. Pork – butts, ribs (spares, babies, and country style), and loins. Beef – brisket, eye of round, meatloaf. Sausages – Italian, Polish, fatties, and hot dogs. Veggies and sides – Dutchâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Wicked Beans (now a staple in this household), ABTs, and stuffed green bell peppers. Poultry – chicken (beer can style). I have not been disappointed with anything that has come out of the smoker.

Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m studying up on turkey. (Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s that time of year.) This family does not eat much fish, and thatâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s usually when we go out. Do you have any suggestions of something to try? If you do, would you please include a link to a recipe and/or directions?

Thanks in advance for all of your thoughts, consideration, and replies to this question.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Meowey, I have the same smoker. I have deep fried many a turkey, but have never smoked one. There are many posts on the oversized yard bird, especially this time of year. I, along with you have enjoyed many a great meal from this little smoker. Think I will try both this year (deep fried & smoked) and see what the results are, by how much is left. Enjoy this hobby very much.

You say you don't eat much fish. Is it because you don't like fish or it just doesn't hit the menu for one reason or another? You can buy a whole salmon pretty cheap. And it's great smoked.
Do you hunt? Deer can't be beat on the smoker. I've not done squirrel, but rabbit is also hard to beat. You don't have to be a hunter to get rabbit. You can get it in some stores, but I've seen it as high as 8 bucks a pound.
A friend of mine smokes lobster and craw fish. It's fantastic. It cooks fast, so you have to have a rolling smoke to get it flavored. I've not attempted to do it myself, but I intend to. Normally I personally don't care for lobster, but I love it smoked in apple.

Gunslinger,

Fish does not make it to the table mostly because it is not high on my list of preferred foods. I used to fish (even making my own lures and tying my own flies) until I realized that I would catch the fish and then not eat it when I cooked it. The only fish that I like is Northern Pike, and that fish is very hard to fillet right. I may smoke that some day. Lobster is almost never seen here in the stores because we are so far from the coast.

I never did learn to hunt, and I have never seen rabbit in any of our local "super" markets. I live in the central Adirondack mountains of far northern New York state. It's 50 miles to the nearest Wally-World or Sam's club.

Once in a while we see good salmon. I may need to give that a try. Any tips?

Thanks,

Meowey

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky