Looking for NC style sauce recipe for pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

placebo

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jul 24, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I'm hoping some of the good folks here can hook me up. I spent several years in the southeast and absolutely fell in love with the pulled pork BBQ you can find at almost any hole-in-the-wall BBQ pit throughout the southeast. Thanks to this great place I now have the knowledge needed to smoke the pork butt for some awesome pulled pork. What I don't have is any idea at all as to how to come up with that tangy, slightly spicy, more liqued than sauce, mouth watering goodness they offer to smother your pulled pork in.

I'm planning on smoking my first butt this weekend along with a few fatty's and I would really like to come as close as possible to replicating that sauce.

Thanks all!

P.S. On a side note I was
wondering how many peeps
here use an electric smoker
instead of a true stick burner.

Perfect, thank you so much for that! Looks like just what I was looking for. I havn't brined anything yet and I wasn't plannig on going that route. Can anyone attest to the amount difference there would be between brining and not brining?

Thanks again!

I have both gas and electric. The more and more I am on this site I am also wanting either a charcoal or a stick burner. I think each smoker has its own use and I want to be educated in all of them and have my choice of what I feel like firing up.

Ya I'm with you on that. I also plan to eventually acquire a stick burner of some sort. I figure for now since I'm just learning the electric will be sufficient.

I haven't done the brine on a shoulder yet, I just did a rub, let it sit, and then smoked and then used the sauce recipe. As far as poultry goes though, always brine!

I make ONLY eastern NC chopped pork and sauce. Here's my sauce recipe.

The carolinas have at least 4 different, distinct sauces in just two states. I enjoy eastern NC, which is butts or shoulders to 200*F then chopped to about 1/4 to 1/2" pieces, it's the exact same flavor as pulled and a lot easier to do. Their sauce parallels SoFlQ's sauce. Pour some in to the chopped meat. Serve on a cwb (cheap white bun) with cold cole slaw on top and have this mop/sauce around. It's tangy and truly delicious on pork. This is a recipe that a huge number of BBQ joints use in the area. The important part is to make it a few days ahead of time, so the stuff can get real friendly. I made 40# of Q and a gallon of this for a party and they raved.

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cup white vinegar
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoon hot sauce or to taste (less for chilluns)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
DIRECTIONS
  1. Combine the white vinegar, cider vinegar, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, hot pepper sauce, salt and pepper in a jar or bottle with a tight-fitting lid. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 days before using so that the flavors will blend. Shake occasionally, and store for up to 2 months in the refrigerator. It won't last more than a day or two if you have enough BBQ around!

I have a few different smokers and one of them is an electric one.

Generally I do not use the electric unless I am making salami because it is a longer smoke time and I will let it go while I am at work. My wife keeps an eye out for it but does not need to watch the fire

now i can post "the old way"- 1700's way to cure a ham. roll it (oiled-bacon fat rub then) in sea salt(kosher nowdays), w/ hickory wood dust- age(smoke& hang) for a wk in a dark dry barn( after). smoke it @ 100f-140f. scrape/cut the cure off of it- when ready to eat). reheat & fry smoke... whatever....yup- i looked @ the amish/mennonite method of dry curing ham.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky