1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

looking for advice

Discussion in 'Roll Call' started by tls5150, Feb 16, 2007.

  1. tls5150

    tls5150 Newbie

    So how hard do any of you think it would be to start selling smoked meat out of your home?
  2. illini

    illini Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

    Hi Neighbor[​IMG]

    Here is a post you can chew on and consider!

    Don't know the Illinois law though.....Remember they had to quit serving pickled peppers in the restaurant in the town JUST north of us as they were home canned and the "state" closed down serving them!
  3. cheech

    cheech Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Do what I do, barter. Works great and if you do not like what they offer at first give them a taste of some smoked food to remind them how good it is and they will come around.
  4. cajunsmoker

    cajunsmoker Master of the Pit OTBS Member

    Don't know about your area, but around here it is illegal to sell to the public any meat or other food that is cooked in your home. There is an exception for church groups that do speghetti suppers and gumbo drives and the like.

    If you cook for public consumption you have to have sterlization equipment such as a 3 compartment sink and water heater capable of 185*. Outside smokers have to be contained inside a screened area with rainproof roof.

    If food is to be consumed on premise then the proper amount of restroom facilities, handicapped and otherwise, is determined by the number of customers that can be seated.

    It is a lot of red tape and constant dealing with the health department.

    There is a lot less beaurocracy involved if you just cook at events, like fairs and such stuff.

    edit - I said sterlization equipment and really meant disinfecting equipment.
  5. deejaydebi

    deejaydebi Legendary Pitmaster

    If you sell food from your home, "most states" will allow it provided that -

    you have a second, separate kitchen to be use only for the products to be sold and it needs to be inspected, approved and licenced.