Looking for a recipe for a good tangy sauce

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

concordeer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Mar 28, 2013
Mullens, WV
Looking for a good tangy (I guess vinegar based) sauce with medium consistancy. Don't want it runny as water nor too thick either. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Rusty, morning.... all I can suggest is reading the ingredients list...  check for vinegar, molasses, sugar, high fructose corn syrup.....  the closer to the top of the list, the more there is of that ingredient...  I like Cattleman's Original....  a good balance in my tastes...    

Dave

Concordeer,

x2 Dave's comment. Untill I got Jeff's sauce & rub recipe, Cattlemans Origional was my go to sauce. Now it's Jeff's all the way, I make it by the gallon( or so it seems ). The family and friends are constantly bringing by EMPTY containers and asking for more refills, lol. I don't mind, I like seeing everyone happy. You could always thin it down a bit with vinegar if desired, for more tang ( it's kinda KC style, but warm ) Anyway you can tailor any sauce to your own taste, thats the fun of cooking anyway, right?.

See ya Phillip

If you are looking for a homemade sauce,  I can vouch for this one.   It's tangy sweet and you control the level of heat you want by adjusting the cayenne pepper.

2 cups ketchup

1 cup apple cider vinegar

2 tablespoons brown sugar

2 tablespoons black strap molasses

2 tablespoons honey

2 teaspoons chilli powder

1/4 teaspoon of kosher salt

2 1/2 cup of water

1/4 teaspoon celery salt

1 large vidalia onion chopped

5 cloves of garlic finely chopped

1 stick of butter

8 tablespoons of worcheshire sauce

2 teaspoons smoked paprika

1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (more or less depending on your taste and desired heat level)

1 bay leaf (remove after cooking)

Bring all ingredients to a good rolling boil then lower to a simmer for 20 mins or so.  I judge the time by the thickness but remember it will get thicker as it cools. This makes a good dipping sauce, final sauce and I've even basted with it when grilling.   It will keep for weeks in the fridge or you can can it for later use. 

Hope that helps you. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky