Looking for a new smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnkorte

Original poster
Sep 14, 2014
I am looking for a new electric or propane smoker.I want to find one that will use wood chips and not the stacker patties. Also one that uses a meat probe that will turn off the heat source when it reaches its preset temp. Does anyone know of a smoker that will meet these requirements?

Thanks in advance.

I am looking for a new electric or propane smoker.I want to find one that will use wood chips and not the stacker patties. Also one that uses a meat probe that will turn off the heat source when it reaches its preset temp. Does anyone know of a smoker that will meet these requirements?

Thanks in advance.
Why would you need one to kill the heat? If you're not there to remove the product when its done you could end up with something very dangerous to eat depending on what temp. it remains at and how long! This is why even crock pots don't recommend using the keep warm setting for more then 1 hr. Should keep above 140.

Well in the cooler months highs low 40's, it would be nice not to have to babysit the smoker. wether I am finishing my cooking/smoking time in the afternoon or at night. Just an convience if a smoker has that capability.

Got it. Good idea, but depending how well insulated and vented the smoker it may not get down to a safe resting temp. fast enough. I don't know of one but good luck in your search !

If you get a remote temp gauge I believe they will signal when the meat has hit the IT that you set on it.  This way you can sit inside and have the remote next to you.  When it goes off you can get what ever you are smoking then.

Look into the Maverick ET-733.  I've heard great things about it and I'm sure there are some threads out there on it. 

Will that work for you?

johnkorte,

The only electric smokers that I am aware of that do exactly what you want are those from Cookshack. They are built with digital.  The Amerique will go so far as to drop to a 140 degree keep warm mode, while the other models do indeed shut down.  They are pricey, but you can get one with 6 months to pay, no interest.  You can get an analog like Smokin-it or SmokinTex and fit it with an Auber control and program it to do what you desire. There are a lot of folks who have done just that.  The CS, SI and ST smokers typically use wood chunks, but one can use chips with their chip screen.  I would suggest that you visit their respective sites/forums and prowl around some; maybe join and ask questions specific to your needs. Here is a link to the CS line with details/features of each.

http://www.cookshack.com/store/Cookshack-Equipment/Residential-Smoker-Line

Thanks, Cookshack does have a smoker that does what I ask , but WOW what a price tag! Maybe just a remote will be fine.

Thanks again,

john

john,

Cookshack is pricey.  But it IS made in America and most of the material is sourced in America, as are PK Smokers (which is primarily for sausage). PK is sold direct via PK Seasonings and I believe Cabella's under the Cabella name and it runs in the $1000.00+ price range.  Nice smoker.  Most electronic smokers are imported.  Not a bad thing, but foreign labor is a lot less costly as are the materials. I am not sure which model you looked at but I can tell you I have not had any problems at all with my Amerique.  Sometimes they have scratch and dent models (which is what I purchased) that have the same warranty as new (which should still qualify for the 6 month payment plan).   And there are the other two brands I mentioned which are rock solid units (my brother owns the Smokin-it 3) and in 2 years he has not had any problems. And he so far has not seen the need to get an Auber to get digital accuracy or a need for any programming.  The analog units will have temperature swings of 30+ degrees above/below the set temp as it cycles the heating element on and off.  Some folks are ok with it, some are not.

Whichever way you go, good luck and happy smoking.

Dave

Last edited:
Think you will be pleasantly surprised by how well the Maverick ETC/733 works. The price tag won't knock you off your seat either. I also remember reading about a product that you can u see with a smart phone. I can't remember what it is called. I'll look for you

I have a PK smoker which is for sausage OR ribs,brisket etc. temps  go from 60 -250*. Not a real high temp but Jeff says LOW and slow .

I have a Cookshack 025 which is the smallest residential unit with digital controls, but it doesn't have the ability to shut down or go to a hold temp.  It will hold temps rock steady and with a remote probe you can monitor the meat from the warmth of your house.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky